Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Flooring
toofewweekends
# Posted: 10 Mar 2013 15:23

We have a weekend 16x20 cabin that goes cold when we're gone, and as it is in southcentral Alaska, we're talking -30 at times. At this point, the floor is OCB that was stained by the previous owner. We're contemplating sheet vinyl, a Costco pergo-like click-together floor, or simply a rugged paint like you'd use on a porch.

Advice on good/bad experience? Brands that work?

toofewweekends
# Posted: 10 Mar 2013 16:34

That would be OSB -- I was off the home keys.

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Mar 2013 11:03

Husband installs flooring for a living...

we have vinyl in the kitchen and mud room at our place, and it gets very cold there too. I know he would say that if you have a seam, which you would if you do the whole floor, you will need to put a metal seam strip over it. Gluing and seam sealer will not hold in that cold over the long haul. I know there are some other details about type and such that I will ask him about and get back to you.

trollbridge
# Posted: 13 Mar 2013 17:08

Okay...more vinyl info...

If you go the vinyl route, make sure you go with solid sheet vinyl, not felt back and leave it about a quarter inch from the edges of the wall and cover with baseboard. This will allow for expansion.

As far as the click together Pergo floors, his concern is that if there is much bounce in your floor, you may walk in on a cold floor and have it crack, especially the tongues in the grooves. Pergo type laminates are more likely to do that because they are thinner than wood floors. I believe there are others here who have used laminate floors, but I'm not sure if their climates are similar to yours. If you decide to go with a laminate there is a brand called Berry Floor that is much easier to install and it is better quality.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

anon
# Posted: 14 Mar 2013 02:11

My family has a remote cabin in Alaska. Most of the rooms are just plywood or OSB floors, some painted, some bare. One room has some laminate floor from Costco. It seems to hold up well. Right now there is no heat in that room so it's more for storage than regular use. The laminate has been there for about eight years and still looks good.

The painted floors have stood up, but probably needs some attention. They've been in use for 20+ years and show their age.

anon
# Posted: 14 Mar 2013 02:12

My family has a remote cabin in Alaska. Most of the rooms are just plywood or OSB floors, some painted, some bare. One room has some laminate floor from Costco. It seems to hold up well. Right now there is no heat in that room so it's more for storage than regular use. The laminate has been there for about eight years and still looks good.

The painted floors have stood up, but probably needs some attention. They've been in use for 20+ years and show their age.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.