Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Pallet Shed
Hinezy
# Posted: 14 Mar 2013 23:08

I found these plans for a shed made of pallets http://www.oklahomahistory.net/palletshed.html
and I have a large stock of free pallets at work. I'm thinking of giving this a try at the camp this year. The pallets I can get are very sturdy and they're 4'x8' which would allow me to make a 12'x12' shed pretty easily. Thought I'd pass the plans along to anyone interested as well as get some of your thoughts.

hattie
# Posted: 14 Mar 2013 23:16

Amazing! Recycling at its finest! Thanks for sharing...

Hinezy
# Posted: 14 Mar 2013 23:24

Yeah, I wonder how big you can go with this design. Possibly make a small cabin?

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 14:00

This looks cool. I wonder how the time of construction compares to doing simple framing. If the pallets are free, and you can get enough that are all the same design/dimensions, you save that cost, but if the construction takes longer overall then you have to ask what you have saved. Looks like overall construction for a storage shed takes less time, but if you built a habitable cabin you'd be faced with doing numerous 'alterations' to the basic pallet design which would be challenging.

I predict that the pallets at the bottom, contacting the concrete blocks, will rot in a few years and be impossible to repair. But, maybe you don't want the shed for very long.

Anonymous
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 14:16

Sometimes they are really free, I see them sitting on the curbside sometimes, obviously they are free to take. But when you get pallets like this they are all different sizes, and that would be a pain in the butt and not easier than buying 2x4s. But pallets often belong to a the company that delivered the goods, and thus are "lent" to the receiver. They may not be not yours to take, and in that case it would be stealing.

If your getting all the same size pallets and they are all in good condition its probably "stealing". Consistent size, quality pallets are worth a bit of money, as you can see they are good building material too. Stealing pallets its not recycling it's same as stealing lumber. Sorry to rain on (some) parades, but it has to be "said".

Hinezy
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 19:47

We have 4'x8' pallets at my work and they're well built and free for the taking. A good friend of mine gets pallets at his place of employment for free as well and they're made of bolted together 4x4's. They make great firewood with a little work!

Bevis
# Posted: 25 Mar 2013 19:06

There are places that just give them away, reguadless of condition. I get several trailer loads from Sebring Raceway that they save for me. I've been to other places and been told to go around back and take all you want.
I'm doing a few projects at home with them, have also built some tables for a few people too.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 26 Mar 2013 08:36

built with pallets before, odd sizes too. i put them directly on the ground then nailed them to a uniform height of 8' and reinforced with 2x4s. built a raised 2x4 frame for a slanted roof covered with metal roofing (pieced together scraps from a junk pile).

made a nice 8' x 16' woodshed with 8' height. the floor and wall permit great airflow and keep out rain. after a while i sheathed it with 1/4" plywood i got free and now use as a toolshed/workshop with a small solar panel on the roof and a car battery (car died and sold as scrap iron, kept battery), runs a couple DC lights (also saved from an old car). put a rain gutter and barrels off the roof too.

using pallets i got free and salvaged roofing i got free i ended up with a really great shed

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.