Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Going to cabin next week. Work questions
optimistic
# Posted: 24 Mar 2013 15:50

I am going up there next weekend to do some (a lot I hope!) work.

I want to put down oak floors (hardwood), build the loft area, and build the bathroom walls... Maybe too optimistic ;)

I bought those utility grade 3.25" oak floors from lumber liquidators. They are .89 a sqft and come unfinished. From reading the reviews I believe the waste factor is also due to how each person is... One person might throw away a piece another will use. Anyhow I bought 210sqft while I need only 144... I hope I am good.

Question about flooring:

1. I won't be able to let the wood sit in the cabin for a few days to acclimate like is recommended. Is that so bad?

2. My cabin sits on a gravel pad. Then on 4x4 PT skids, 2x6 PT joists, and then 3/4" plywood. So technically it will be installed as if over crawling space. I will use Aquabar B underlayment (home depot) which is supposed to be good.. should I use something else?

3. I want to avoid sanding the floors or staining them. I want to just apply poly on it. One coat before I leave and another one next week. Is that ok?

For the loft space: I will triple up ( three boards) 2x4's 12 footers with construction glue and 1/2" carriage bolts. They will rest on 4x4 the will be inside the perimeter walls. This will carry the loft area on one side and then I will connect a 2x6 board on the other side to the outside wall (to the 2x4 studs). Then I will hang 2x4s, 16 OC, between them. I found really strong ties that rest on the beams. I will then use either plywood or boards for the "floor".

Any thoughts?

johng
# Posted: 24 Mar 2013 16:01

Wood naturally expands and contracts as temperature and humidity change, thus the reason for acclimating wood flooring to it's environment.
I have no idea where your cabin is, but unless you are somewhere near the equator you will more than likely have a problem down the road.

A crawlspace would be an enclosed area (not open to the environment) under the floor with a moisture barrier between the ground and the floor. There should also be enough room for air transfer and ventilation.

Anonymous
# Posted: 24 Mar 2013 16:37

1- leave 1/2" between the long grain edge of the flooring and the wall on both sides. Later, cover this with molding quarter round. This gives expansion room. Is the flooring, right now, in a climate drier or wetter than your cabin is when the weather is wettest? If wetter it wil shrink, if drier it will expand.

3- If you don't sand the floor will look, well, different. But it will be protected against staining. If I put in a bunch of good flooring I'd want it to look nice, but that means sanding, which requires a 220 elec hookup.

Good luck

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.