Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Got my first quote
grover
# Posted: 1 Apr 2013 12:32

Got my first quote for the cabin shell. The quote was for a 23 x 26 cabin with a loft plus a 8 x 23 porch. The main part of the cabin will have a 12/12 pitch and a 3/12 pitch over the porch.
The quote was about $11,700. This includes windows and doors. Also included were the trusses. Scissor trusses over the living room area with a 7/12 pitch on the inside. Trusses also for the loft area with a 12 x 12 ft living space.
The truss part of the quote was around $2,500 if I am remembering correctly.
I thought the quote was a little high but after breaking it down maybe it is not too bad. I guess the scissor trusses are the simplest fix for the cathedral portion. They will prevent the walls from being pushed out by the weight of the roof.
It seems I could get some yellow pine and build the trusses myself or go with a full 12/12 cathedral inside and out by using ties across on the bottom 1/3 of the rafters tying the walls together.
Sorry I know this is long but I need your thoughts and ideas. I am not a professional builder but I have a pretty good working knowledge.

VTweekender
# Posted: 1 Apr 2013 12:42 - Edited by: VTweekender

If that quote is with labor then its a absolute steal my friend.....if it is just material then its not bad, if the floor, roofing and siding is also included..

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Apr 2013 12:47

Agreed, sounds like a fair price to me.

grover
# Posted: 1 Apr 2013 14:47

No siding and no flooring. Just the 3/4" subfloor. That's 7/16" osb roof underlayment and Roof metal included but no labor included. Don't know if I mentioned it but this does not include the footers or block.

tmcmurran
# Posted: 1 Apr 2013 15:04

Where I am our quote for trusses alone are well over $5,000. Grab it

VTweekender
# Posted: 1 Apr 2013 15:42

Quoting: grover
No siding and no flooring. Just the 3/4" subfloor. That's 7/16" osb roof underlayment and Roof metal included but no labor included. Don't know if I mentioned it but this does not include the footers or block.

I did mean to say sub-floor, sorry on that....For that price quote you wouldn't expect any finish materials included.......I am wondering about exterior wall sheathing though, if there was anything in the quote, or maybe T1-11?.......Seems they have it about $16 a sq. ft. for the cabin and about $10 sq. ft. for the porch. That really is not bad at all, might be tough to beat, especially since there are special order trusses involved.

neb
# Posted: 1 Apr 2013 21:58

That is a great deal and even better if labor is included. If yo do the math it is less then 15.00 a foot. That is a great price I would say.

grover
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 12:40

Sounds like everyone thinks it's a pretty good price. I guess it could be but how can I figure how much $$ it will take to finish. From the shell forward I plan on doing all work myself.

Borrego
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 15:35

Sounds like everyone thinks it's a pretty good price. I guess it could be but how can I figure how much $$ it will take to finish. From the shell forward I plan on doing all work myself.

It's a steal as mentioned before. Just do it before they change their minds. You can finish the rest later a little at a time.

VTweekender
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 16:05

much $$ it will take to finish.

Way to tough to put a number on the finish as everyone wants something different.....but you could figure on another 12k for sure....

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 18:01 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I'd bet you can get as much as the dried in shell cost. Just depends on how fancy you want to go of if you want it simple, ie T&G cedar bead board with wainscote vs sheetrock, linoleum or engineered flooring, home brewed cabninets in kitchen or custom built etc.

Nice thing is you can just pay as you go and do it at your own pace. I would worry less about cost and more about quality. Dont cheap out, you will regret it later, then it cost twice as much to now do it the way you really wanted to in the first place. If money is an issue, just take it on a little slower. Save up, tackle something, save up, tackle the next thing... and so on. Trust me, you weill enjoy working on it. I have found that mine being alld one, I miss the big build weekend plans.

With the secure and dried in shell, its at your pace now.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.