Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 16 x 32 cabin build, Northern BC
gunslinger22
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 14:09

Hey all, just joined these amazing forums, what a fantastic resource!

I'm building a cabin near prince george, BC this summer and need some advice. I did some reading in older topics but havent been able to find a similar situation to mine.

The plan for the cabin is 16x32 (maybe slightly bigger) with a vaulted scissor truss roof. One (maybe two) lofts. I wont have power, gas or running water and may need to move the cabin a couple hundred yards in the future.

I figured I could maybe build it on large treated skids and have them lofted on railroad ties for height. The snow here gets DEEP so I want the cabin up off the ground. Any ideas on how to build a good foundation that allows me to move the cabin in a couple years? Again I'll be moving it to a different spot on the same 5 acre piece of land so i wont need to go down any roads.

Also recommebdations on a generator size that will run a table saw and most other carpentry tools would be appreciated!

Thanks!

gunslinger22
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 15:01

Oh and also, I'll be using the gen to run the cabin from time to time so something efficient would be great...but still able to run power tools...

Borrego
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 15:41

I use a Generac 3500 which has done fine for 4 years. A bit noisier than a Honda but less than $400 bucks and runs almost 2 days on a tank of fuel (4 gal)..... building on skids sounds alright but moving it is still gonna be a pain. Can you just wait?

Just
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 17:00

A 16 x 32 would fit on a mobile home frame if you could find a old one .just hook on and move when you are ready. 2 or 3 railway tie cribs would hold it till you are ready to move ,good luck !!

gunslinger22
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 18:08

I'd have to find a double wide trailer frame tho wouldnt I?

Just
# Posted: 2 Apr 2013 18:43

I think a 12 ft. would work, find a 12 ft and look underneath.If you use 2x10 x16 ft floor joists they should handle a 2 ft overhang on each side .then when it's time to move it you could build 2 14 ft wall footings and drive the whole thing up the middel.'just' my thoughs .

gunslinger22
# Posted: 3 Apr 2013 11:17

Quoting: Just
then when it's time to move it you could build 2 14 ft wall footings and drive the whole thing up the middel.'just' my thoughs .

Hey yeah! If I make sure that I have the cabin higher than the future footings I could just lower it onto them after dragging it in between. Great Idea Just!

gunslinger22
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 18:07

So I'm starting to think I'll build three big skids. I'll laminate 2x8's or 2x 10's together, three or 4 wide (?) and have one skid under each side of the cabin and one down the middle. I think I'll then get a bunch of landscaping slabs (like for sidewalks) and build cribs out of railroad ties or something on top of those for some height out of the snow. Then I'll frame my floor on top of this. I don't know if this will be moveable in the future though. Any opinions on whether this sounds good or not? Also any ideas on how I would lower it onto its skids so I could maybe just drag it to its destination?

Cheers!

gunslinger22
# Posted: 3 May 2013 11:49

this should make plans easier to view

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95441967@N03/

Livinlife4jc
# Posted: 18 Aug 2013 23:58

My 16'X32' floor frame was built on 4 laminated (4 2x10's) skids spaced 7' apart, we loaded it onto my dads gooseneck trailer to move the floor frame from under the hayshed where we built it into site 30 km down the road. 4 8x10" skids under a fully boxed in and insulated 12" floor frame. We blocked it on RR ties on all 4 corners and in the middle just for giggles once it was on the gravel pad. So far so good- walls go up next weeekend. It's sturdy as all get out.

bmramon
# Posted: 28 Oct 2013 03:13

Hey there, just out of curiosity. Where is the land you're building at? I'm actually on the same project right now, looking to build on my land located at Cluculz Lake - doing the research on the permits and etc.

What have you found in terms of permit restrictions for the area? Are you in the Buckley-Nechako District area of control?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.