Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Salvaged ceder siding
flatwater
# Posted: 31 Dec 2009 20:26

This siding salvage from a church face lift.
salvaged siding
salvaged siding

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 1 Jan 2010 16:00

Like the picture - a nice setting you have, flatwater.
Ceder siding looks great.

flatwater
# Posted: 1 Jan 2010 18:46

Thank you cabinbBuilder. I had saved that siding for almost ten years. Then we bought our place and needed an addition. The orriginal cabin has t1-11 on it I put a waynscoting (sp) on the inside and that warmed it up a bit
inside
inside

lawnjocky
# Posted: 5 Jan 2010 19:38

Nice!!! I hate t1-11 almost as much as I hate HOAs. Being in a house made with t1-11 is like being stuck in the 70s on a bad acid trip.

Jocko

flatwater
# Posted: 5 Jan 2010 20:06

So that's how those acid trips effected you, darn thats bad news

Mark5
# Posted: 6 Jan 2010 10:14 - Edited by: Mark5

I didn't know what t1-11 is, so I looked it up. Here it is, just so others (like me) know:

T1-11 and Smartside are not alike except in exterior appearance. T1-11 is simply plywood which receives a rough sawn appearance and vertical grooves.

Smartside, however, is made from OSB and has a rough sawn appearance and vertical grooves. But while Smartside is made from an OSB back, it has a hardboard face over the top which protects it in ways that T1-11 could never dream.

The main problem with T1-11 is that because it is only plywood which gets painted (which must be painted very very well because of its terrible painting properties) if any moisture gets through that paint down to the wood, it starts to shrink, swell, or warp. When it does, the paint cracks and chips, then your siding begins to rot. Also, T1-11 has a terrible habit of licking water, which will also lead to rot problems.

Smartside, however, is covered in a thick hardboard face. Which basically means that the manufacturer takes a piece of OSB plywood and coats it in a mixture of wood pulps and resin, and then they bake it with a thin film coating of linseed oil. This process results in a surface which is very hard, rigid, and nearly moisture proof. Because moisture cannot penetrate through the hardboard surface of Smartside is does not have many of the common problems which T1-11 has.

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 11 Jan 2010 23:52

Love the siding and your place looks great!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.