Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Jamb extensions, 2 x 6 walls
grover
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 00:01

Another question, another thread.
Of those of you who have or are building with 2 x 6 sidewalls what sort of challenges have you had when dealing with windows and doors. You can order doors that are built for 2 x 6 sidewalls but they are somewhat of a special order item therefore quite a bit more expensive.
Any hints or words of advice?

ICC
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 00:48

doors should not be a problem as most new homes use 2x6 ext walls, at least where i am big box stores carry them in stock as well as 2x4 wall sized doors. extension kits are also available that make the door easy complete with threshold extension. ya have to mount doors to the inside wall and extend outward to eliminate some hinging problems when the doors swing in.

. Cheaper 'builder' windows need jambs made for even 2x4 walls, not a big deal to buy wood to fit to 2x6 walls. or windows like Pella can be had with very nice all wood jambs sized to order. $$$

grover
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 08:38

What I'm finding so far here is a door made for a 6 9/16 inch jamb will have to be special ordered so a $340 door becomes more like a $500 door. I guess no one around here builds with 2 x 6 sidewalls. The jamb extension kit is $38 at Lowes. Windows are more of a pain too. Guy at Lowes said you might try doing a drywall return but I don't really like that look. I would prefer regular trim and a sill. This means ripping a 1 x 8 and framing the inside of the jamb and sitting the window inside that. Then some shoe molding or something like that to cover the shimmed portion. Not a big deal but kind of a pain

Just
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 08:57

the price you pay ..I had to do it with all my window ,I did the wood thing . I ones built a appartment building where the plans caled for the windows to be returned in drywall .they diden't last, once they got damp from window condensation they were toast .had to replace the bottom sill with wood .

MJW
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 09:35

We just ran into this on our build. The front door and the French doors we put in our bedroom had to be furred out to fit the 2 x 6 exterior walls we went with.

Our solution was to simply rip the same material we used on the interior and use that as a jamb extension. It worked well for us and looks great.

It really isn't that big of a deal.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 12:31

I built my cabin using 2X6 and the door wasnt an issue as most said, just order with 2X6. As for my windows. I just set them in, then make casings using cedar fence boards. I was going for the rustic look anyway. These boards are dirt cheap too, and no knots. But knots are rustic anyway. :D

Malamute
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 12:42 - Edited by: Malamute

I've just made jamb extensions from 1x pine, with a 1/8" step from the wood window frame, or right up to vinyl windows. I rip them to inside wall max height, then trim, usually with 1x pine. The rip side goes against the window so its a tight clean joint. You can make the older style type with a wider lower jamb piece that extends past your side trim about an inch, and gives more sill room for whatever you like setting in your windows. I make the lower/wider jamb extension about 1 1/2" wider than the rest of the extension, with the lower trim piece just set underneath it. Makes a nice classic styled detail also.

For jamb extensions for doors, go about 1/4" step or so, so the door latch bolt doesn't drag on the extension and the hinges clear easily.

Some float the jambs/extensions on the finish nails and let the trim hold it all in place. I prefer to shim them well. I like bombproof construction.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.