Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Laminate Flooring
Herknav
# Posted: 10 Apr 2013 09:03

We bought a small cabin in the Black Hills, SD and it still has carpeting from the '70's in it. I plan on replacing the floor and have found some laminate flooring at a surplus outlet pretty cheap. The Black Hills have relatively low humidity so I don't see why it wouldn"t work. Since the cabin is not climate contolled would using laminate be a problem? Have any of you used laminate?

Thanks,

hattie
# Posted: 10 Apr 2013 12:47

We have laminate in our house and our motel (attached to the house). We LOVE it....It is easy to keep clean and looks great. Our floors are covered in something called Allure. I think it came from Home Depot. It comes in all kinds of looks. Ours looks like a barn board but I can't remember the name. Allure is waterproof so we even have it in the bathroom - love it!!! Being in a motel, it gets the worst of the worst for wear and after almost 5 years it is holding up really great! I would highly recommend it.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 10 Apr 2013 14:43

The laminate floors that I have worked with have little (no?) actual wood in them. So they don't expand/contract with humidity like wood does. The do however expand and contract with temperature changes, but if installed with the proper space between the edge of the floor and immovable objects (i.e. walls) this has never been a problem as the floor will expand/contract as it needs to over the seasons. And the gap is covered by trim, so you never actually see that.

BaconCreek
# Posted: 10 Apr 2013 15:12

I was thinking about installing laminate in our cabin also. We have it at home and it has worn well.
I was recently reading that some brands do not do well in temperature extremes. The article mentioned Pergo as one that does not do well in extreme temperatures. They mentioned gaping where the seams join. They said Armstrong did OK. That's what we have at home and it has been great if you can stand the clattering noise when you are in heels. I am afraid to try it in an unheated/cooled cabin.

Alaskaman
# Posted: 10 Apr 2013 15:48

I put some in a few houses................. Hate the stuff. I like real wood especially birch. I would rather paint my plywood and wait until I could afford real wood flooring.

Actually that's just what I did.
Floor.jpg
Floor.jpg

Herknav
# Posted: 10 Apr 2013 19:35

Thanks for the info. I'm concerned about the temperature changes also. I'm not sure what brand of laminate flooring I saw at the surplus center, but it was only .69 cents a square foot on clearance. I've looked at some vinyl planking at Home Depot (I thought was Allure) that has a adhesive strip along the side. I'm not sure how that would do with the temp changes either.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Apr 2013 21:58

Quoting: Herknav
We bought a small cabin in the Black Hills, SD and it still has carpeting from the '70's in it. I plan on replacing the floor and have found some laminate flooring at a surplus outlet pretty cheap. The Black Hills have relatively low humidity so I don't see why it wouldn"t work. Since the cabin is not climate contolled would using laminate be a problem? Have any of you used laminate?

I have laminate and its nice and works well. I'm relatively dry as far as humidity goes and its real cold in the winter and pretty warm in the summer. So far, no issues. It is all floating on a blue thin foam.

BaconCreek
# Posted: 11 Apr 2013 08:14

We put the vinyl strip wood look planks in a hallway leading to the garage that stays cold in the winter. The seams gap in between the planks. I don't remember what brand it is.

Trapper
# Posted: 12 Apr 2013 20:28

I installed some click flooring in my cabin two years ago and haven't had any problems. One thing to watch out for is how they snap together. I have purchased and installed different types that were on clearance and sometimes they were difficult to snap together.
I would also be cautious with the allure stuff that glues together at the seams. Our local hardware does not carry it anymore because it unglues and the manufacturer is selling the replacement glue at a steep price.

Herknav
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 10:26

My concern with the Allure vinyl planks is the temp extremes would either cause the glue to fail or they would start to buckle. I may look into buying cabin grade oak flooring to put in it. I do know one thing, the mixed orange, yellow, and brown carpet from the '70's has got to go.

Trapper
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 14:49

I am rebuilding this summer and I will be going with a click laminate. Several of my buddies have home made trailers that they use all fall and into early December, they all have the click style flooring and haven't had any problems with it. We are located in Northern Ontario.

ClimberKev
# Posted: 17 Apr 2013 17:17

We've had laminate in our cabin for about 9 years. Here in Wisconsin we've suffered everything from 20 below to 100 degrees and 100% humidity wtihout climate control. We love the stuff. Great for dogs and clean-up.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Apr 2013 20:28

I liked the idea it didnt glue or have to be nailed. No special prep to the floor itself, no subfloor etc.
Laminate flooring in my cabin
Laminate flooring in my cabin

Herknav
# Posted: 17 Apr 2013 21:28

ClimberKev and toyota_mdt_tech. Do you know what brand of laminate you used?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.