Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Fireplace clearances
gunslinger22
# Posted: 18 Apr 2013 11:05

I've been searching and searching, but I can't seem to find the British Columbia codes for clearances around a freestanding fireplace. I've got an old Sun Oak parlor stove for my cabin and want to make sure it's installed correctly. Also, it has an odd chimney opening at the top, sort of oval shaped with one of the long sides being flat, was wondering if you can still get chimney pieces that will fit. The stove is around 100 years old so I'm worried about finding something that will fit it haha.

CHeers!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 18 Apr 2013 12:46

From my knowledge wood stoves aren't in the code. The inspector checked with our manufactures guidelines and piping to make sure it was with in. There are some general guidelines on the net you could find, like wall, floor and piping clearances...I am assuming your stove is not a zero clearance and is probably 18", but do some search online about that model.

Also see what pipe works...double wall or something else.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 18 Apr 2013 13:16 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

This page on stove clearances may help.

brokeneck
# Posted: 22 Apr 2013 19:30

For the pipe I'd google ventingpipe.com very knowlledgable friendly and helpful

Trapper
# Posted: 23 Apr 2013 20:11

We had a licensed person come in and inspect a couple of back country cabins that we rent out in Ontario Parks. The book he references is "A guide to Residential Wood Heating" It is put out by Natural Resources Canada.

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/enefcosa/upload/wood_heating_EN_W.pdf

Check out pages 26 and 28.
Hope this helps.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.