Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / flooring choice
WY_mark
# Posted: 18 Apr 2013 15:48

hi everyone,
our 20x30 cabin is framed in and siding is on. I keep delaying my flooring choices because I'm just not sure what will be best. The cabin will be left completely un-heated for 2-3 weeks at a time in winter (our winters are mostly in the 15-25F range but can get below zero). I've currently got 3/4" osb over 2x12's and we have a nice solid floor with no spring/sponge. our location is dusty/dirty so carpet is out in my mind. Budget would cover laminate, vinyl plank or tile. I've done vinyl plank before and love it for applications like this BUT it's not ever supposed to get below freezing once installed.
What would the best material choice be in your opinion? why?

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Apr 2013 20:53

Hi!
We like both our wood floor and our loose lay vinyl flooring. The wood is very pretty, but I really love our vinyl! Shows nothing, sweeps right up, and I don't worry at all about melting snow on it. The wood does show dust-but then again, we are still working on finishing the interior, so someday the dust will hopefully decrease! We also are in a cold climate.

WY_mark
# Posted: 20 Apr 2013 12:18

Is your vinyl click together or the vinyl planks that have the glue edge?

trollbridge
# Posted: 20 Apr 2013 13:09 - Edited by: trollbridge

Neither. It is sheet vinyl it comes 12 feet wide by however long you need. The key is no seams. It is loose lay, requiring no glue, so it can expand and contract as needed. Glue is your enemy in an unheated cabin.

I wasn't to thrilled with the thought of vinyl flooring in our cabin, but there are so many patterns to choose from and it is just so easy to take care of that I am really happy with it. It is in our kitchen and mud room, so lots of "slop" coming in on boots and shoes!

Hope this answers your question Page 14 of our build thread shows a picture. It's Northern Wisconsin Cabin.

WY_mark
# Posted: 22 Apr 2013 10:19

Trollbridge....heh, funny how one's prejudice works, I'd pushed from my mind that roll vinyl even existed. that might be just the ticket. you've not had any issues with it wrinkling w/o the glue? is your flooring specifically designed to float or did you just eliminate the glue?

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Apr 2013 19:38

Hi!
Ours was designed to float. About 50% of vinyl floors are meant to float. It seems odd, I know, but it works well. It has not budged, nor has the outhouse vinyl, which is the same type. No wrinkles, lumps or bumps
It is quite a heavy floor. A very good solution in my opinion.

vtbros
# Posted: 22 Apr 2013 20:16

A click together floating laminate works well also. We have been happy with ours. There are lots of designs, but we got a deal on one that looks like tile. My first choice would be a wood floor, but budget would not allow.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.