Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / building on a small addition
. 1 . 2 . >>
cabingal3
# Posted: 19 Apr 2013 13:37

we are heading out to get busy building a living room for the little cabin this weekend.we have been waiting for the pass to be clear of snow and ice.
also we can finally drive into our land.
will bring pictures back.
we did not buy alot of wood.the wood was heavy and wet somehow.
it was inside home depot?so we cant carry a heavy load thru the mountains.
will bring back photos of our progress.
bits and bobs ,here and there and it will get done!

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Apr 2013 15:54

Have fun you two! Will be excited to see pics when you get back
I hate it when the wood is wet...so much heavier

cabingal3
# Posted: 19 Apr 2013 16:42

so much heavier.this is so right trollbridge.
we shall have alot of fun.no snow thru the pass but tomorrow its 17 degrees and snow showers.ew.on the way back home it is clear and sunny.whee.so excited to get the heck out of dodge.hope little baby is doing good.sure a cutie pie.hugs cabi

hattie
# Posted: 20 Apr 2013 13:52

cabingal your cabin just keeps growing. That is so exciting! Can't wait to see the pictures of your progress.

naturelover66
# Posted: 20 Apr 2013 15:08

Be Safe ! Have FUN !!!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Apr 2013 15:01 - Edited by: cabingal3

two happy souls back from the woods.snow in the pass but not on the road.sure pretty.got to our woods and trees were down on our road both the back way and the front way.so we had to move those aside to get in.
had nice days out there.Gar tore down the old summer kitchen.sure was an eyesight once i did not need it anymore.we added on some sub-flooring.and worked alot around the place.weather was nice.we cant wait to move there.
our neighbors came over and told us a cougar has a routing system thru our property.soo.i guess when i saw it and was chasing it with my b b gun.i thought it looked like a pretty big head for a plain cat.i only saw the long big tail going by and the head sticking up out of the bushes.ew.
well i made it.so all is well.pretty funny.
ole summer kitchen
ole summer kitchen
no summer kitchen-sub flooring added
no summer kitchen-sub flooring added
roads blocked to our cabin
roads blocked to our cabin
gar figuring
gar figuring

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Apr 2013 22:49

Yeah, we broke ground for the front addition.
I hate grunt work.
All that bending and kneeling....and grunting.
I'll tried not to comment while I watched cabi do that.......

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Apr 2013 09:49

naturelover66
# Posted: 23 Apr 2013 20:05

Lol. Glad u had fun!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 24 Apr 2013 08:24

Quoting: Gary O
I'll tried not to comment while I watched cabi do that

thats funny gar.tried not to comment.sure.sure.u commented plenty.get over there woman.oh bleck.what the heck are u doing woman?! ha ha ha...just kidding gar.
i know u did mean it all.lol.
happy birthday funny man.

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Apr 2013 10:29

Happy birthday!
Wishing you a great day

Gary O
# Posted: 24 Apr 2013 15:55 - Edited by: Gary O

Dang, that's right, it IS my birthday.
Seems that Beatles song was just a few days ago.
'when I'm sixyfour........'

thank you TB

naturelover66
# Posted: 24 Apr 2013 20:54

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!

64? Just a pup !
Hope your day was awesome !!

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 May 2013 07:19 - Edited by: cabingal3

going to the cabin to finish up on the new addition.
gonna stay for five days this time.whee doggy.we will be using the shower i am sure.
sort of scared of the cougar.
when i go to the outhouse in the nite by myself.i think things like what if the cougar or a bear was sniffing outside the outhouse and we dont have a lock on it.it would rip the door off anyway.
i think if i could rock the outhouse over and get the door flat on the ground...maybe i could be safe.then i think i am getting silly.they are more scared of us than we are of them.
i wonder why?dont they know they are wild animals?are they scared of guns?
anyway...off we go.gar loaded up the trailer and the jeep.heading out for an adventure.
i got a little cushioned chair for the little living room we r building.it is so cute.got it for cheap at a yard sale.we are not taking it down there yet.
the little cabin is taking shape.the land is slowly taking shape.its like
we are in our own world making a creation.
i always take too much food and clothes but ya never know.
i leave alot of the food down there.i dont haul it back.every time i take more and more stuff to the cabin.so when we finally move there-it wont be too much hauling.
off we go.will take pictures.hugs cabi

cabingal3
# Posted: 26 May 2013 23:33

we are back-had alot of company.got alot done.did not get to take down my chairs.next time we go we will.this time we installed two windows i got free from craigs list.got the door on.the shakes on and the roof done.whee.gar was a wild man.
gar
gar
the length of the place
the length of the place
front new room
front new room
little decorations
little decorations

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 27 May 2013 01:13

Very nice! Can you open the windows? I like your curtains they are perfect for the cabin and your decorations.

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 May 2013 01:30

thank u sliverwaterlady.we cant.we dont need to .we have a dutch door we can open.thank u.they were from a sheet i got from a yard sale on the curtains.i got the sheet for 25 cents.i sewed them all by hand when i was there this time.thank u.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 27 May 2013 01:47

I love Dutch doors. What a great idea on the curtain! I love shopping thrift stores. I spent a long time planning our cabin and was able to decorate and furnish it very inexpensively with the things I got from thrift stores,yard sales,trash day cast offs, old country auctions, city estate sales and even the dump in Canada!

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 May 2013 06:19

oh-silverwaterlady-i love dumps.when i was a kid on the air force base our dad would take us to the base dump.ammo boxes and all kinds of cool stuff for the grabbing.u can sure decorate with yard sales and all the places u mention.
we had a couple of windows that could open but by the time we had trauma's of building.we put in two windows.we were pretty much done with putting those on the cabin.
i have gotten alot of wood cook stove minatures and have them on a ledge of my kitchen at the cabin.
i was trying to decide how to decorate the new addition once it is a breakfast nook.i was wanting to do sort of a miners cabin kind of look.we will just have to go along and see how it plays out.if we just went pioneer style.that would sort of be cabiny enough.
what are some of your finds??
pioneer style
pioneer style

hattie
# Posted: 27 May 2013 13:55

Your place is coming along great!!! You and GaryO have put in a LOT of work out there. What are the books in the photo above? It looks like a set of something.

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 May 2013 17:42

Quoting: hattie
What are the books in the photo above? It looks like a set of something.

hi hattie.u know them .the laura ingals series.i love them so.every time i go to the cabin i usually read them.love them.they are just so filled with how to do things in that day and time and also all their adventures.not like the tv series as much.
we also have all the foxfire books,carla emory country encyclopedia and all kinds of country cookbooks and lots of back editions of backwoods home.lots of books.thank u.

hattie
# Posted: 27 May 2013 19:03

I thought that's what they were. *smile* I love them soooo much. You were the one who got me hooked on them.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 27 May 2013 19:40

I have that set as well. I read them when I was about 8 years old. I think reading those books made me want to have a log cabin! I have 100's of books at the cabin. I bring more every time we go up there. We don't have a tv(and never will) so we catch up on our reading while there. My cookbooks:
Manitoulin_2011_061..jpg
Manitoulin_2011_061..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 May 2013 08:58

Quoting: hattie
You were the one who got me hooked on them.

yay.they are so lovely to read.i love them so.the christmas times are so wonderful.
silverwaterlady
that looks so cozy and homey.oh my.i love that photo.just lovely.i too take books to the cabin every time we go.what i am doing is moving in.gar does not know this.hee hee.its the slow move.bring the cast iron tea kettle,bring more pots and pans,bring more clothes,bring more food.hee hee.whee doggy.cant wait to live out there.
silverwaterlady...we love to read there too.its so fun.this next time we are taking two armchairs and a couple of tv trays for eating.with the new addition.no more eating on the bed.yay.
u have alot of cookbooks.i see alot i have too.the oldie goodie ones.

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 May 2013 09:00

here is a rug i am making for the kitchen.i have carpet squares down now but i want to put this rug over those for extra warmth and protection so the squares dont have stains on them...
then i am making a big crochet braided rug for the new addition.its still a work in progress.
rug i am making
rug i am making
braided rug coming
braided rug coming

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 28 May 2013 18:45 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Oh I love your rug! Braided rugs are my most favorate for the cabin. One of my best finds was this rug I got at a country auction for $25.00 nobody else bid on it! It was braided by a lady in 1965. It is a huge rug 9'x12' and covers our entire living room.
image.jpg
image.jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 May 2013 21:54

i love your rug alot.i always love those braided rugs.i have to braid that pile i posted.i finished the one for the kitchen.
the crocheted braided rug is thick at first but it flattens down after a bit.they are so heavy duty.sure love homemade rugs.

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 10:45

well last time at the cabin...gar put ruff cut lumber we got for 50 cents a board up in the living room/reading room.its tiny.its all we need.this is not the big house we are going to build.it is our now place to hang while we get a work shop built so we can build a bigger place.
this new addition was gonna be a dining room.now we have changed it to a living room...reading room...eating on tv trays room.right now we eat on the bed.not too easy.
in sept.we are taking two overstuffed chairs and two new tv trays to the woods to go in this little cute room.
new room
new room

Just
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 12:51

Looks great folks ,congrats

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 08:12

thank u Just.its tiny but its more space than we had.still have not caught my first squirrel nor tanned.had a chance last time but it was not the correct timing for this.
time wil come and we wil be out there doing and being.sure will be great.old Gar cannt wait to retire.hes really feeling it.
have a nice day.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.