Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / One chimney, two stoves?
gunslinger22
# Posted: 22 Apr 2013 12:32

I wanna have a big old cookstove in my cabin with a potbelly stove behind it facing the other direction. Trying to figure out if its possible to have two stoves going through the same chimney. Not sure if it's safe or what...I'm basically just being cheap and don't want to run two chimneys...that shmidt ain't cheap!

SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 22 Apr 2013 13:51

I saw a nice setup at one cabin where they had a nice Blaze King stove as the main stove but then there was an air-tight stove mounted next to it and the stove pipe for that one just tied into the main chimney with a T-Connecter and dampers. That way when they got to the cabin in the winter they can throw a fire in the airtight and heat the cabin up quickly and then get a fire going in the Blaze King which would take substantially longer to warm up.

There may be some issues with getting a good draft, but I think as long as the pipes are relatively short and mostly vertical you could do it...Dampers are a good idea though I think.

I have a line on a cast iron cook stove, but I am not sure how well it will work to heat the cabin. It would definitely be nice though. It might be worth a try.

gunslinger22
# Posted: 22 Apr 2013 15:02

I've got one of those nice big old enameled ones, and a crazy old cast iron parlor potbelly stove with nice designs all over it. Did he have the damper between the two stoves?

Truecabin
# Posted: 23 Apr 2013 11:00

you don't see it often 2 stoves together will be a whattheheck moment for everybody who comes in the door. but i understand not wanting 2 holes in the roof. A damper in each leg seems right. If u dont know where the airs coming from it will be a hassle, take apart both old stoves and reseal them as new. I dont know if you are in cold country but having a stove at each end of the cabin would heat real nice on a real cold day. If you have space big enough for 2 stoves that's a big cabin you might want it at the other end of the room on a cold day. 2 elegant stoves together might not look good together a lot of good looks is sensibility. It might look like an antique store not a cabin to live in. are you sure they will look good together? It doesnt cost much to put the flues together but if i was u I would poke the first hole in the roof in a sensible place for 1 stove not poke it based on the 2 stoves you might change your mind.

hattie
# Posted: 23 Apr 2013 11:48

Our house/cabin was built in 1912. It was originally just two rooms and there was only one chimney. The chimney had an opening to each room, so there was a stove on both sides of the wall. The chimney isn't used anymore, but we have kept the half chimneys and put a light fixture where the stove pipes used to come out. The bricks only went down half of the chimney and then the wall supported the rest of it.

Below are pictures of both sides of the wall. Where the lights are is where the old stove pipes came out.
IMG_3292.JPG
IMG_3292.JPG
IMG_3293.JPG
IMG_3293.JPG

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 25 Apr 2013 01:56

As long as neither of the stoves has gas hook up I think you are safe. Talk to a stove installer (ie. Pick his brain for free).

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 26 Apr 2013 07:37

It's done , but I found that chimney fire are hard to deal with when there's two places to get air from. I won't do it anymore just because of that.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 26 Apr 2013 11:23

i had a house years ago with a chimney built to accomidate 2 stoves, old farmhouse that had a small stove for heat in the living room and one in the kitchen, stove pipe ran up through heat shields between the first and second floor and conected into a 2 way chimney (old houses had it setup like this to radiate heat throughout).

it was a pain to clean the chimney and was a severe risk for fire, i would not reccomend it.

BossLog
# Posted: 31 Dec 2013 14:07

Hi there
Don't be cheap.Saw a nice cabin like that a few years ago.Cabin was about 4 feet high,not counting the stove pipes and had a strange black colour to it and quite a noticeable smell as you turned around,shook your head and walked on.
My friend of 23 years was trying to cut costs and he paid.....but paid too late,
Please DON'T be cheap
Grant in Canada

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.