Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / waterproofing 6x6 beams......
JRanch
# Posted: 7 Jan 2010 09:25

Hi all,
I have some 6"x6" beams that I plan on using for the main beams of my 12x16 cabin. These beams are not Pressure Treated, what would any of you guys recommend I use to waterproof them?

Thanks Eh,
Keith

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 7 Jan 2010 09:51

If you use beams above the ground (walls, etc.), the simplest is oil paint or oil stain (for better wooden-like look).
I wouldn't put them where they would touch or near the ground, unless those are cedar beams.

flatwater
# Posted: 7 Jan 2010 22:56

Do you have any problems with carpenter ants or termites in your area ? If so I would use something in your paint to help repell those little beasties

JRanch
# Posted: 9 Jan 2010 08:20 - Edited by: JRanch

Cabinbuilder, they are not cedar beams and yes, oil paint is one option that I was thinking of.

Flatwater, I'm in New Mexico at an elevation of approx. 7500 feet, I was told there are no termites due to the elevation but for my piece of mind I need to do some research on termites in my area to find out for sure.

Thanks guys for the info.

keith

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 11 Jan 2010 19:50

There is a product the big home improvement stores carry called JASCO Termin-8 wood preservitive. Thats the best that I have come across.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Feb 2010 00:58

You can treat them yourself with a product called Jasco.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Feb 2010 22:58

Quoting: JRanch
what would any of you guys recommend I use to waterproof them?

Jasco, comes in gallon cans. Grab a small pump type fertilizer sprayer. Get the cheap plastic one, you will need to throw it away unless you glean it with mineral spirits.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.