Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Drywall interior with 1x2 furring strips to cover the joins?
10sne1
# Posted: 1 May 2013 18:54

I wish to finish out the inside of a shed with insulation and walls. What would be the down side of running drywall floor to ceiling and screwing a 1x2x8 wood to cover the joints. Thus not taping and sanding the traditional way. As I only have a day to put up the inside walls, this would be fast/easy, and cheapest way to complete the interior. I have looked everywhere for pictures of how this may turn out. Thanks for your pro and con thoughts. Making a hunting cabin in Georgia.

WY_mark
# Posted: 1 May 2013 21:00

should be fast and easy, may not make a technically correct fire barrier. you're still going to have to mud and sand the nail/screw holes in the rest of the drywall (not on the seams). if you put it up without field nailing/screwing it will try hard to sag over time.

Steve961
# Posted: 1 May 2013 21:55

Another problem you will run into is that the vertical edge of drywall sheets are indented to support taping and mudding. To hide the indent you would probably need a board much wider than 2".

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 May 2013 22:43

We did this and it was really inexpensive and fast, but we put the strips over the screw heads in the middle too...and then between those too. I like the look of having more strips-I think ours are about 3" wide. Then we just painted everything the same.

10sne1
# Posted: 2 May 2013 05:44

Trollbridge, would you happen to have any photos?

manny
# Posted: 2 May 2013 10:22

i done this at my camp. just got the one pic though. Hope this helps

manny
# Posted: 2 May 2013 10:24 - Edited by: manny

this is the only pic i could find. I think the strips were 3x 1/2"
Picture_037.jpg
Picture_037.jpg

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 2 May 2013 12:21 - Edited by: littlesalmon4

I have done this before as my daughter has extreme dust alergies.
I used T&G pine. I ran the pine through the table saw to cut off the tongue and the grove. I sanded all the other screw holes with a damp sponge. I will do the same thing on the ceiling except I am going to use rough cut 2"x8" pine so it looks like it is drywalled up to a beam.

10sne1
# Posted: 2 May 2013 21:14

Thanks manny! I can share this idea better with my wife with photos!
Thanks Tomm

bldginsp
# Posted: 3 May 2013 08:51

Off topic, but regarding drywall:

When I put drywall in my cabin I plan to use Dens Shield, which is a drywall that's made to have tile glued to it. It has a fiberglass face instead of paper. Since my cabin will be unheated and unoccupied most of the time, it will get seasonal moisture in spring and fall. Regular drywall has paper facing that gets moldy, and the gypsum is not made to take much moisture and starts to fail, get gushy, with much moisture exposure. Dens Shield won't do either, it's made for a moist environment.

Taping and mudding is a pain in the next, but you can reduce the dust by wet sanding. I like the board and bat look, though. I wonder how much time you save by the time you have finished the 1x3s.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 3 May 2013 11:10

I am not sure it is all about time. Not everyone is talented enough to mud and tape. Covering with a 1"x3" or similar makes a clean finish if you are not a good mudder or taper. For me it is all about the dust and daughter's alergies. If I have to sand, I wet sand.

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 May 2013 11:57

Sorry for the delay responding. Pictures can be found in our building thread-Northern Wisconsin Cabin on page 15. The boards we used are old siding that we trimmed down to size, but it is rough with the old paint under the new-we wanted an old look, but yours would be different. Page 1 shows furring strips in our bunkhouse. That is over wood not drywall, but it looks the same. Page 4 shows the same effect on our outside. That is 3 inch strips over treated plywood.

Hope this helps give you another reference to show your wife. We actually will be doing more of this this weekend at our place

10sne1
# Posted: 3 May 2013 15:12

Thanks for the great info! Will take a look at your building threat. I will look into the dens shield, too. Thanks

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.