Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Headers or Cripple Studs?
Bordenman
# Posted: 1 May 2013 20:43

I have hired someone to do the foundation on my little cabin that I am building, but I'm going to frame it and sheet it myself, with friends.

Now when checking out photos and some advice, I hear or see cripple studs above doors or sometimes 2 x 12 headers. The same with windows.

Is one method outdated? Or is there a time and a place for each method? Maybe different for interior and exterior doors?

Any advice will be helpful. Thanks!

WY_mark
# Posted: 1 May 2013 20:54 - Edited by: WY_mark

depending on wall height you likely need both. Cripple studs are the shorter studs that go above a header to make the rest of the space from the top of the header to the top of the wall. Cripple studs alone wouldn't transfer the weight out to the jack stud.

check this wall anatomy image

WY_mark
# Posted: 1 May 2013 20:57

p.s. google header span chart or header span table - 2x12 headers on a door seems like substantial overkill.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 May 2013 21:04

I'd say it depends on how tall your windows are. Mine are headers (4X6) right to the top plate on the windows, they are not very wide. The header is carried down through the jackstud. I have cripplers above my door, it was on a gable end and a large header wasnt required. Cripplers would certainly make it easier to run wiring over the door.
I guess I dont think it matters except where you place your windows and how tall they are.

ICC
# Posted: 1 May 2013 21:21 - Edited by: ICC

First, let's assume we're talking about exterior walls. The difference in headers vs cripples depends solely on what else the wall is doing. Is the wall a load bearing wall as in the sidewall, under the eve of a gable roof? Or is the wall an non load bearing wall as in the gable end wall. Gable end walls only hold up themselves whereas the gable side wall also carries one half the roof load down to the foundation.

A hip roof would have all four walls being load bearing.

And keep in mind that some handiwork you see on the internet has been done wrong and should not be copied at all.

The height of the window does not matter. If the window or door in a load bearing wall is wider than the 16 or 24 inch stud spacing a header is required. There are tables in the IRC to help determine the header size. A two story will need a larger header for the main floor windows. A wider window or doorset will need a larger header. If a window or doorway opening gets wide enough there may be a need for two jack studs per header end. All that can be found in the IRC.

Sometimes builders will just make all headers doubled 2x12's. It costs more but the low paid framing laborers don't have to think so hard.

The same load bearing vs non load bearing rules are followed for interior walls.

ICC
# Posted: 1 May 2013 21:25

The wall in the image link is a load bearing wall. If it was a non load bearing wall a 2x4 or 2x6, depending on the wall studs, would be laid flat across the top of the opening.

Borrego
# Posted: 1 May 2013 21:32

You can also slam the header up against the top plate and fur it down to door height, there are many ways to do this, just as long as the header is the appropriate dimension for load bearing.

Bordenman
# Posted: 1 May 2013 22:37

Thanks a lot for the replies. Good to see a nice friendly forum.

For the record, cabin is going to be 16' x 30'

2 x 4's

36" front door, with a 5' patio door in the back. Doors are on the 30' spans. On the gable side, windows are 4' x 4'.

Bordenman
# Posted: 2 May 2013 12:42

The windows are the gable END! lol ooops

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.