Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / What am I doing wrong?
mojo43
# Posted: 3 May 2013 19:27

Today, I tried to power from a generator to an inlet and to a recepticle and the power didn't work. Can someone help, what am I doing wrong?
43A4129D72B647348.jpg
43A4129D72B647348.jpg
99D4C1BA16894F018.jpg
99D4C1BA16894F018.jpg
8F47EF3ABE6046E6A.jpg
8F47EF3ABE6046E6A.jpg
B0B78A1A1A5F4953B.jpg
B0B78A1A1A5F4953B.jpg

SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 3 May 2013 19:47

Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like your black is going to the ground on your first photo. Just ensure the wire is going to the right hole/spade and you should be fine.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 3 May 2013 19:48

I can't quite tell , but is that black wire to a green screw in your second pic.? Green screw means ground.
Also white wire to silver screw and black to gold.

mojo43
# Posted: 3 May 2013 19:50

Just so I have this right, white goes to silver screw, black goes to black screw and copper (ground) goes to copper? (That's what I have it set and it doesn't seem to work)

mojo43
# Posted: 3 May 2013 19:51

Ahhhhh, I am colour blind. It's a green screw... Ok, I saw it as black. Thanks, that should clear things up.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 May 2013 23:25

All your wiring is wrong, both on the inlet and the outlet. The black wires needs to go on the gold screw, white wire on the silver screw, bare wire on the green screw.

Malamute
# Posted: 5 May 2013 23:18 - Edited by: Malamute

...also, turn the wire around the screw clockwise, it helps pull it in tighter as you tighten the screw, instead of trying to spit it out. Your wire isn't tight under the screw in a couple pics. I like to pinch the wire around the screw with needlenose before tightening the screw. If the screw comes loose, the wire won't come off the screw and short against another part of the outlet. Also, a wire that isn't connected firmly can arc and get hot, possibly melting the outlet, wire, and starting a fire.

The wire color codes were mentioned, but if you can't see the colors right, the round prong one is the ground (bare copper wire), the wide bladed one is the neutral (white wire), the "normal" sized one is the black or hot.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.