Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / zip line material lift
Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 9 May 2013 23:03

I need to move all my cabin materials from the lake to the cabin site. About 50' vertical and 160' horizontal over very rough rocky terrain. I plan on stringing a cable from a tree near shore to tree on top and then using pulleys pull the materiel up.

Has anyone here done anything like this? Any advice.

Thanks

fpw
# Posted: 10 May 2013 07:19

Sky lines work well for moving material. They are often used for moving logs and assembling log buildings in areas where you can't get a crane.

Attaching the rigging to the trees requires knowledge of climbing and rigging. Depending on the size of the tree and the loads you plan to move, the setup may require installation of guy lines on the tree.

A chainfall or other lifting device is set up on block that designed to roll on a wire or rope. This sits on the line and is used to lift the load. A rope is connected to this block, run through another block and then attached to a power source (ATV, Truck, Tractor, person, etc) to pull your load along the line. Another rope is connected to a block in the opposite direction and used to return the assemble to pick the next load.

If you are moving your materials over a short time (ie. week or two), properly sized rope works fine a cable is not needed. If the assembly will be in place for months, cable is a better option.

Martian
# Posted: 10 May 2013 07:53

I presume you are using a boat to haul the materials. Can you use the boat to pull the materials up the zip line, too?

Just
# Posted: 10 May 2013 09:21 - Edited by: Just

funny you ask ,,i'm in the process of building a zip line for my grandkids . I got every thing I needed at Princess Auto Ontario . 175 ft . of 3\8 cable , 35$ ,4in pulley 20$ , 3 ft. turnbuckle and clamps 25$ . 25 ft. bungie cord for a braking system .25 $,.you should drop in and see what they have . Of course ,i'm going down hill not up !

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 10 May 2013 20:36

Martian

I was thinking of using the boat to pull the materials. But I may be simperer to install a winch at the top...still thinking about that.

Just

Thanks for the princess auto idea I will check them out.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 11 May 2013 15:06

I built one last summer for the grandkids. I used 3/8'' x 200' to big trees. I used two ratchet straps to tighten the cable, first one than the other. I was surprised how much effort it was to get the cable tight enough to hold 120 lbs. Then I had trouble with pulleys. I used garage door hardware. That pulley started to spread in the first day, so then I made a trolley with two pulleys, that seems to be working fine. It took a couple of days to build. I could have carried a lot of lumber up a pile of rocks in that length of time.

Owen
trolley
trolley
great fun
great fun

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 11 May 2013 22:06

Hey Owen

Thanks for the info. The hill I am trying to avoid carrying everything up is about 45' high and a 35 degree incline. So I hope the zip line will be worth the effort. I also hope to make it permanent and use it to move food, propane etc.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 11 May 2013 22:52

That would be cool. permanent solution would be worth the time spent building it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.