Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Center foundation beam
grover
# Posted: 15 May 2013 13:42

I can't seem to find any pictures as to how the center support beam in a block foundation is supported on the exterior block walls. We are using piers in the middle of the span but not sure about the ends. Anybody explain or have pics?

Gregjman
# Posted: 15 May 2013 21:33

Isn't it set in a level lower than your top row? I've seen it in plenty of field stone basements.

WY_mark
# Posted: 15 May 2013 22:01

if you've got a double thickness wall it basically sits on the inside course so that the top of the beam is level with the top of the outside of the foundation. use steel non-compressable shims to get it level. do not use wood/synthetic shims or they'll deform. depending on loads you'll add more blocks to buttress the beam.

This is sort of the idea:
center foundation beam

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 May 2013 10:36 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I've seen it done several ways. Set right on top of the wall, tied to the sill plate and rim joist, but the floor joist all need to end and be hung on it with joist ties. This beam wil need more supports in itsd center, ie pier pads and a post to keep the flex out.

Another would be a column made like one picture above shows, or pier pads and post holding it up under the floor joist where the joist run across it over the top of the support. If you do it this way, I think you want some sort of blocking between the joist over the beam to keep the long joist span upright.

You can also overlap the joist over the beam too so you can use less expensive shorter lumber, but they need to overlaped around a foot on each side of the beam, nailed together, ie 2 feet total and then blocking is required I believe if its spliced like that. Keep the wood off of the concrete or blocks. Either treated lumber, decking but still I'd use a tar shingle between the wood and concrete.

grover
# Posted: 17 May 2013 13:40

I have a builder helping me with things now. We poured the footer pads for the piers the same height as the perimiter footers. That's when I started wondering how he was planning on doing it. I would rather have a beam running the entire lenth with the piers supporting it. Then the floor joists resting on top of the beam, not hanging from the beam. I will have to talk to him and see what his plan is.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.