Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Is My Cabin To Big For.......
ToeKnee
# Posted: 5 Jun 2013 22:50

I an recently just in the 1st stages of planning a 12 x16 cabin. Is that to big to use 4way patio blocks ?

Thanks for any information on this.

Just
# Posted: 6 Jun 2013 06:33

Any thing but a below the frost line foundation is going to move and require yearling leveling. That said, many folks have them and have made out OK . A load of heavy crushed stone first will help a lot .

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 6 Jun 2013 07:38

That's a tough question to answer. If you are using plywood sheathing or siding, if you have lapped the plywood over the side of the floor rim joist, if you have just two main skids set a little under the building from the sides., if those skids are at least 5x6'' treated, if the soil is undistrurbed, And like Just said a gravel base is good.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 11:25

Most pads at least in our area are required to be 24"x24". You could use a 24"x24" pad of PWF (usually 3 layers of 2"x8") and place your patio block on top. Again as already mentioned it may require releveling at some point.

bldginsp
# Posted: 9 Jun 2013 23:19

You didn't tell us how many you plan to use, and what their spacing is. As pointed out above, it's risky, but you may find that if you use a lot of them spaced closely, say 3 feet, that the load is so well distributed that none will sink below the others. But a lot of soil heave could still cause you to have to re-level.

I built a 14 x 14 A-frame shed on piers on 32" centers where the frost line is 18". 4x6 sills straddle the piers on both sides, which will equalize unequal forces on the piers to a certain extent. No problems after 4 winters, except that the doors have shifted a slight bit, not beyond easy adjustment.

ToeKnee
# Posted: 10 Jun 2013 06:06

Thanks for all the replys

Quoting: bldginsp
You didn't tell us how many you plan to use, and what their spacing is.

I was planning on using around 20 blocks at 4ft apart

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 Jun 2013 07:29

I wouldn't do that. Read my post. I'm the only one here who has built hundreds of cabins that set on top the frost. If you have blocks everywhere under your cabin, you'll find out just how much frost lifts, because in the spring the outside posts will thaw out and the floor will bulge upward. Two big skids only, not three, two. My customers don't seem to notice, but in the spring the cabins lean towards the sun, until the north side thaws completely too. This doesn't hurt the building because it moves as a unit, but it does move. Now if you build on a deep pile of dry gravel , most anything will work.

Owen

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.