Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / rough electric in same trench as rough plumbing?
LoraPerkins
# Posted: 15 Jun 2013 19:11

Hi, I'm new to the forum. We are getting ready to have a plumber put rough plumbing into our small cabin, but he mentioned something about putting the rough electric into the same trench as the rough plumbing. Does it have to be done this way? We'd rather do the rough electric later to save up some $. Please let me know what your recommendations would be.
Thanks,
LP

adakseabee
# Posted: 15 Jun 2013 20:00

Consult with the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) over electrical work. If the AHJ is not readily identifiable, start by contacting the local electrical inspector.

The National Electrical Code does not specifically prohibit plumbing and electrical cables/conduit in the same trench. HOWEVER, the AHJ in your area may prohibit or place restrictions SUCH AS electrical cable/conduit must be a minimum of 24 inches beneath grade level, no less than 12 inches vertical separation between the plumbing and electrical, electrical buried above the plumbing and plastic warning tape in the trench over the cables/conduit, These are just examples of restrictions the AHJ may have in your locality.

Putting plumbing and electrical in the same trench may cause a headache for you if the plumbing needs to be unearthed for repair. Think what may happen if a careless excavator pulls up you electrical cable/conduit in his attempt to get to the plumbing.

LoraPerkins
# Posted: 15 Jun 2013 21:20

Thank you, this information is very helpful. I would rather not have them in the same trench as, like I said before, we may not be doing the electrical right away. I appreciate your advice.
LP

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 15 Jun 2013 21:50

why not put a electrical line in the same ditch while it's uncovered ???.....the only cost should be the cost of the electrical ( even if you do not hook it up now) ....water lines and electric lines are run in the same ditch coming from your well etc. I ran both of mine in the same ditch from the pole /meter /well to the camp

ICC
# Posted: 15 Jun 2013 23:39

The NEC is mute on the matter; ditto the plumbing code as far as I know. Local codes and preferences of the inspector can be the deciding factor. I have seen AHJ call for separation of 24 to 36 " and others who care not. With this it is best to ask local as was suggested by adakseabee. They have the final word. Sometimes one trade will like to hijack the trench someone else dug. That's okay as long as the inspector is happy and as long as the hijacker will wait until the first is all done and as long as the hijacker gives the homeowner a pricing break.

bldginsp
# Posted: 15 Jun 2013 23:50

When I dug my trenches for all my plumbing, I put in PVC electrical conduit in the same trenches, with no wire in the conduit. I only wanted to dig the trenches once, since its a lot of work and I had nearly 1000 feet of trench to dig. Later, when I want to do electrical, I'll have no trenches to dig, just have to pull wire through the conduit.

Many ways to skin a cat.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 08:27

We put ours in the same trench. We actually have water supply, waste, electric and gas in the same trench. They go at different depths. What we did was put a shelf of dirt in the trench so the water and electric were separated. If you put a conduit down it doesn't have be as deep as a direct burial. The only real reason not to put them in the same trench is if you plan to dig one of them out some day. Use conduit and get it done now. $100 in parts now or $700 for parts and extra labor later.

LoraPerkins
# Posted: 29 Jun 2013 08:18

Thanks for all these great tips everyone. We really appreciate it.
LP

Borrego
# Posted: 29 Jun 2013 16:34

Quoting: turkeyhunter
why not put a electrical line in the same ditch while it's uncovered ??

^^^^^

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.