Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Installing PEX - Setup
jrbarnard
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 07:08 - Edited by: jrbarnard

Ok.. I am off work today and, welp.. planning my plumbing. I cannot find a web link with this info, so am trying to plan what all I will need for my PEX plumbing setup in 2 weeks.

So, anyone here can assist?

I uploaded a drawing of what the cabin should look like. Trying to make a shopping list.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, any corrections, also welcome. We are about 3 hours round trip from Home Depot etc.. so trying to get it all in one trip.

ALSO: It is a very simplistic drawing.. I got that, but it is how to "keep it straight" in my head.. heh.

ALSO: I assume all 3/4 with "T"'s to each device to lower that to 1/2".

The cabin is 32 ft x 24 ft

Russ
Drawing 1
Drawing 1

ICC
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 21:58 - Edited by: ICC

a good drawing is indispensable to planning out the materials list. That drawing of yours is a start. The next drawing should include hot and cold lines; toilets only use cold for example. Ditto for cold only for water pump. I'd suggest colored pencils, red and blue for hot and cold. Then draw it out along the walls as it will run; that will help in determining the number of elbows, etc. that will be needed. Look at the fixtures and see what sort of connecting flex hoses you need for the connections. What type of stubs at each fixture connection? and whether or not each will have a shutoff. Is there code to be followed? That will have a lot to do with the shutoffs needed.

Think about using a hot and cold manifold system. Some have a shutoff on each outlet. Then a half inch dia PEX tube is run directly to each point of use. That way one section or item can be shut off and the remainder of the system operating.

PEX is flexible but has bending limits. Where it turns a 90 degree corneryou can use special corner brackets that hold the shape of the curve, not too sharp and it won't try to spting straight. I find them quite handy. A bend done right is less restrictive to flow than a fitting. That is also the idea behind a manifold; keep the fitting to a minimum. Two lines are better than a tee with 3/4 to 1/2 transition. One 3/4 line does not quite flow the same volume as two 1/2 inch lines.

Is this a seasonal use cabin? Plan for draining the system.

An additional thought; have you done the DWV yet? DWV is drain waste, venting. It is best to do those larger non flexible pipes first. Then do the PEX supply lines as they can snake out the DWV. And lastly electrical as it is the most flexible of all.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 23:37

Oh, sorry.. I forgot to mark them hot and cold.. lol.. but the number of lines are there.

Thanks!

Russ

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 22 Jun 2013 11:36

ICC....That was very helpful!!

bobrok
# Posted: 22 Jun 2013 11:59

@ICC: very good inst. I was going to post but you' ve laid it out so much better than I could have.

FWIW I ran my pex inside the cabin up against the ceiling. There is a neutral ivory color pex available that I used rather than the red and blue. It blends in better and being inside the heated area keeps it from freezing up during a cold snap if you plan on using it in cold weather (that is, IF you get cold weather where you are).
Good luck.
I love my pex!

ICC
# Posted: 22 Jun 2013 12:41

Thanks.

PEX is super and do not forget Sharkbite fittings. A little costly but very handy for places the crimping tools don't get into easily. Use with copper too.

Unless marked otherwise PEX does have a drawback. It is damaged by UV light, direct sun more than ambient scattered light, but even then it will deteriorate over time. I had an outdoor hose bib fail after several years. Usually it is in the walls, floor or ceiling so it does not get hit by UV. If exposed paint it.

The colors are okay but I use the clear/white and just do all the cold runs first and then do the hot and mark the hot lines with red tape near each cut end.

PEX does come in a rigid style in 5 and 10 ft lengths. handy for repairs.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.