Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Check out these plans.
MikeJohnson
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 01:58

I've searched the forum pretty well, but I'm still not sure. I ordered these plans: http://plansdesign.ecrater.com/p/6989597/16-x-20-cottage-shed-with-porch-project-plan s#. I've seen posts about prefab sheds on skids being used, and I wondered what you guys think. Clear as mud?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 06:45 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

It looks cool, but the floor framing is strange and the use of 4x8 sheathing on the roof is wrong. The floor should set on top of skids and not just have blocking on the edge, but under a foot of so. It's generally excepted the OSB or plywood has a structural axis and is used the long direction perpendicular to rafters. Also if you're in snow country you will want to make sure you tie the walls together from side to side. A truss will work better than rafters for that, but at least have something. Also I'm not a big fan of using t&g lumber for siding, too many holes and seems with little structural strength, 4x8 sheets of T1-11 would work better.

Owen

MikeJohnson
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 13:11

Is it just the skids? I was thinking about a pier foundation. As far as the roof is concerned, I have a company here locally that manufactures trusses, so I'm sure I can have them take care of that. I don't know why the roof sheathing is parallel to the rafters, that's funny. As far as siding is concerned, I can do OSB topped with Smartside for less than T1-11, which is what I planned on in the first place. I'm looking for as much help as possible. Thanks!

MikeJohnson
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 13:27

Can we get this put back where I had it? I'm looking for technical advise.

MikeJohnson
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 16:59

Actually, I think I may do a block foundation. I plan on modifying these plans to make it more rigid of a structure. Any ideas are welcome.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 21:37

Quoting: OwenChristensen
the use of 4x8 sheathing on the roof is wrong

I thought the same deal, should lay horizontally???

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 29 Jun 2013 20:39

Hey, Mike come on back. We like to see everyone's progress. We see all kinds for things here and almost all work out. It's a dream life style and there are little rules. Most of the time you'll get several answers to questions, but just chose your own path.
What do you mean, block foundation? A basement? or just block under several locations?
This works for ridgid small cabins
This works for ridgid small cabins

ICC
# Posted: 29 Jun 2013 22:49 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: MikeJohnson
looking for technical advise.

The following is good technical advise.

I agree with the roof sheathing question as identified by Owen. The sheets should lay across floor joists and rafters with the long dimension across or perpendicular to the joists or rafters. It's just not done that way. That alone is enough to make me wary of any plans that have them running as shown in those plans.

Ditto Owens comment of the exterior siding. There are uses for some T&G that look attractive but they should be used over a structural layer of OSB nailed to the studs.

Furthermore I take issue with the flooring. They have the joists running out from under the interior flooring to the porch. The problem there is water and potential rot. Joists sticking out under an open porch like that will carry water back under the interior flooring. Porches and decks do rot out. Heck of a job replacing joists that extend like that when rot happens.

I'd look elsewhere for plans that were drawn by someone who knows the right ways to design and build. Sorry if that rains on the parade but such is life and such is the internet. Everybody can be an expert.

MikeJohnson
# Posted: 30 Jun 2013 03:16 - Edited by: MikeJohnson

My wife favors the design, that's why I'm pushing this one. I plan on using a crawlspace dry-stack foundation. I understand the fundamentals, but I want more eyes than just mine to devise a way to improve on the plans. After all, they're just $20 shed plans. The roof sheathing I knew about. I have no clue why they would do that. Maybe because it's a shed, maybe because they suck at making plans! HA! The siding in the plans is attached over OSB and layer of building paper. As far as the floor joists are concerned, that just made my day. Now I have a smaller foundation and a shorter span on my joists. I enjoy the input!

MikeJohnson
# Posted: 2 Jul 2013 12:20

OK, I'm gonna explain it and see if you understand without me having to draw it. I want to use a 12x20 dry-stacked crawl space foundation which is the dimension of the living space itself. The deck will be it's own separate construction. Next, since the roof only hangs over by 4', can I just support it on top of concrete piers? As far as the roof is concerned, I plan on running 2x6's spanning 16' front to back of the structure, or I will have some trusses engineered. Not sure on that yet. Let me know what you think.

MikeJohnson
# Posted: 2 Jul 2013 16:15 - Edited by: MikeJohnson

I think I'm also going to bring the width down from 20' to 16'. That way it will be under the 200 sq ft shed rule. I can build it without a permit. My living room is about that size, and I think it's plenty for staying for a week or so.

MikeJohnson
# Posted: 2 Jul 2013 16:55

OK, the living space will be 12x16, and I just got done researching skids. Now, can I do skids under the living space and sonotube pier supports for the 4' overhang of the roof? Looking for OwenChristensen to chime in here. Thanks!

MikeJohnson
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 01:40

I know I'm new here, but I feel like I'm talking to myself. I originally posted this in the Cabin Construction section, but it got moved to here to the Useful Links section. Happy 4th of July by the way.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 07:26

Sorry Mike. I guess I didn't have any experience with dry stacking foundation. If I don't know something I don't respond. Usually somebody with knowledge will pick up.
I don't ever mix foundation types. Skids in this country move un and down a bit. No problem if the wall construction is ridged and porches are supported with the same two skids.
By what you are saying now, I think you better have frost posts for all.
IMO

MikeJohnson
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 13:01

HMMM. This is a tough one. I really like the roof line flowing into the porch. It's a tough one without the floor joists spanning the same distance of the roof. With the use of ceiling joists, can the roof have 4ft of overhang?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 13:56

Yes, if it is braced back to the building.
I do have an idea. I actually am going to do this on a 16' x 20' cabin I'm going to build later this year. They too want a 8' eave side porch the full 20'. I'm going to build large heavy 24' skids set 17' apart. Then I'll use 20' 2x12'' floor joists. That way I can include the deck on two skids. The ground is not pure gravel for a great depth as it is with this one;
If the ground is all gravel or solid bedrock anything is doable. In northern MN, I have to be very careful.

MikeJohnson
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 14:16

I'm redesigning and modifying the plans anyway, so let me draw some pictures, and I will post them. Thank you for all the great ideas! Oh, and I'm in SW NM.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 15:28

Oh well in that case, you have it made. Frozen ground can heave 6'' in the winter. I'll bet you can get away with a lot. What kind of forces do you have? Wind, moving sand?

MikeJohnson
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 16:34

Good question. The actual area is unfamiliar to me. I used to live about 35 miles NE on top of a granite hill. That made just digging a propane line trench 16" deep very difficult. I just want something simple for our summer vacations. My wife and I are both teachers. The larger cabin can come later on. We're both only 29, and theoretically have a long life ahead of us.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.