Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Mitzubishi ductless heating and ac units
Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 21:22

Anyone installed one of these in their home or cabin?

ICC
# Posted: 5 Jul 2013 21:55

I can't say a thing about the Mitsubishi. On the other hand I am extremely pleased with the Sanyo / Panasonic we have. I did do the installation myself except for the charging of the system with refrigerant. The tech checked out my work and then got the system up and running. Could not be happier. We chose the Sanyo (now Sanyo/Panasonic) as it is programmable for power use. hat makes it work really well off grid. Interior stays at 75 even when it hits 100 outside. There may be some others that are too by now but I could not say. Works very well; quiet as a whisper as all the really noisy parts are isolated outside. It is the heat pump, AC and heat version. We never need to run a generator.

creeky
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 10:23

icc I've been thinking about a airsource heat pump. what's your lowest power draw?
right now my AC is all doors and windows open

WY_mark
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 11:40

have not installed one, but have been in several extended stay places with them and they are fabulous!

MJW
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 12:15

The Mitsubishi is what we are planning on installing.

Stayed in a few places while I lived in Belize and they are great.

ICC
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 14:12

Quoting: creeky
what's your lowest power draw?

down around 300 watts on lowest settings. Frequently 500 to 750, sometimes up to 1100 watts. The higher numbers are when the sun is shining best, most of the time, so it is more or less running on the sun that makes the AC necessary. Also helps to have lots of wall and roof insulation.

Rossman
# Posted: 6 Jul 2013 22:55

I guess these wouldn't work as well with real cold Canadian winters?

ICC
# Posted: 7 Jul 2013 00:09 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: Rossman
I guess these wouldn't work as well with real cold Canadian winters?

IIRC the best air source heat pumps operate at 100% down to 40 degrees F and 60% of max output down to 17 degrees F. The ground source are much better if installed correctly for the climate. Much harder and expensive to install ground sources types though. A guy I know about has a ground source type installed in 200 ft deep drilled vertical bores. It's efficiency is way up there. Runs off solar too. In summer it pumps the heat into the ground. Cool but $$$. More $$$ than I wanted or had to spend.
Lops in pond bottoms work well too. Buried horizontally 6 feet down works next best in many places.

Good ones will auto switch to the alternate heat like propane furnaces when the efficiency drops.

Split minis can be bought as AC only and as cool and heat models.

Some power companies give a lower kWh rate on homes that use the higher efficiency units.

PatrickH
# Posted: 7 Jul 2013 09:14

Seemed like the only one used in historic savannah they where very quiet and worked really well in those huge homes

sparky1
# Posted: 7 Jul 2013 17:47

I've had a "Samsung Mini Split AC ..w/no elec heat as a secondary.for 4 years---works very nicely---right now 86 outside air coming out of unit 40.5 degrees..

Rossman
# Posted: 7 Jul 2013 22:58

Quoting: ICC
IIRC the best air source heat pumps operate at 100% down to 40 degrees F and 60% of max output down to 17 degrees F. The ground source are much better if installed correctly for the climate. Much harder and expensive to install ground sources types though. A guy I know about has a ground source type installed in 200 ft deep drilled vertical bores. It's efficiency is way up there. Runs off solar too. In summer it pumps the heat into the ground. Cool but $$$. More $$$ than I wanted or had to spend.
Lops in pond bottoms work well too. Buried horizontally 6 feet down works next best in many places.

Thanks for the info!

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 8 Jul 2013 00:19

I'm thinking I want to install this but, where would I situate it where it would do the best cooling? Upstairs in the loft? We had an 8000 BTU window ac going this weekend while it was 88 degrees outside and temp inside would start out at 73 in the morning and slowly go up to 78 by late afternoon.... It is noisy also! Any thoughts? Here is a video of the cabin.... Loft has cathedral ceilings and part of it is open to the first floor....
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=kzDukZ61G1o

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.