Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Concrete Slab Foundation
Anonymous
# Posted: 18 Jan 2010 19:19

Building a 10x12 cabin in the deep snow country of northern California. I'm thinking of putting in a concrete slap foundation in. Is there any problems, other then cost, that I should be concerned about?

Borrego
# Posted: 18 Jan 2010 22:13

Just do it right. Sand with a slip sheet, lots of rebar... why not a raised foundation?

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 18 Jan 2010 23:48 - Edited by: elkdiebymybow

I built my cabin on a compacted crushed stone base. I excavated 3' into the earth and filled it with crush stone, then compacted it with water and a vibrating plate compactor. I then placed large stone slabs on the base +/- 3" thick and 12-36" in size. We are in central Idaho with cold winters and hot summers. The ambient temperature of the earth helps to regulate inside temps in both summer and winter. I am able to keep things cool by +/- 18 degrees in the summer and inside temps hover right around freezing even with outside temps well below freezing.

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 19 Jan 2010 01:07

we went with post and beam foundation...not much road for concrete truck...all footers hand mixed by bag with water from jugs...If you can get a truck in great...another idea is what is called a frost protected foundation....shallower than typical frost depth due to insulating a perimeter out from the house...you can save on excavation and concrete cost with this style.

http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/Foundations/frost-protected-shallow-foun dations

Anonymous
# Posted: 21 Jan 2010 16:03

Just got back in town...thx for the replies.

I'm doing some gate and well work that will require a concrete truck to come onto the property. I figure since they are there...why not? No critters to worry about, etc. Also, with high winds and deep snow thought it might be more structurally sound.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.