Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 2x8 or 2x6 for 7.5' OC span
mattd
# Posted: 16 Jul 2013 12:59

i have 4x beams spaced 7.5' on center. my original plan was to use 2x8s for floor joists. costs are adding up with no end in sight so trying to pinch pennies where i can. would 2x6s work? it's obviously spanning 7' 3".

razmichael
# Posted: 16 Jul 2013 13:26

Check out one of the various on-line span calculators such as Calculator - assuming SPF grade 2 at 16OC you can span over 9' with 2x6s but confirm the various loads.

mattd
# Posted: 16 Jul 2013 14:41

i'm not real sure of all the info the calculators need. i'll likely get my lumber from lowes, and their web site says the 2x6 is hem-fir. not sure what grade it is but it looks like no. 3 spans the shortest distance. with everything else set to the defaults i get 8' 1".

i looked up what the other info is. default deflection limit of L/360 i should be good with. the 40psf live load seems pretty typical for a house, so i would imagine it would work for a cabin. And even setting the dead load to 15psf i still get more span then i need.

am i interpreting the info correctly?

razmichael
# Posted: 16 Jul 2013 16:21

Other than type (floor joist, ceiling), type of wood, spacing (OC) and dimensions you should be able to keep the rest as default assuming you do not have any other unique design characteristics. This is just one calculator. Here is an example of a table Table which has slightly different results when you put in th same variables. I doubt if the wood is No 3 - likely 2 or better. You might even be able to go to 24"OC but this might feel bouncy. Another table Table does not include 2x6 joists but it gives you a good idea how different designs (sub-floor, strapping, bridging) can make a difference. On the flip side, don't skimp too much - depending on the area, 2x8s make not really add much cost and provide a more solid feeling floor.

mattd
# Posted: 16 Jul 2013 17:29

wow that first table says 2x6 at 24" centers would go over 9'. i found a floor sheeting table that said 23/32 is good for 2x6 @ 24" OC. now were knocking off some dollars! wish i could feel out some samples of diff spacings.

razmichael
# Posted: 16 Jul 2013 18:10

Hopefully someone else can provide some real life examples. As long as it is safe (which it would be given the tables) does it matter if you have a bit more bounce in it? Unless you plan to do ceramic tile some might suggest it gives a more cabin feeling to it. You have not mentioned just what floor space you are doing. You may find, if you have any concerns, that sticking with 16OC will not really add a lot to the cost.

Borrego
# Posted: 16 Jul 2013 22:39

2x6 should be fine....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.