Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Flooring Insulation and Dampness
spencerin
# Posted: 19 Jul 2013 23:52

Have a very small cabin and am a DIY-er. Thinking about insulating the floor, but because the outside of the floor is entirely exposed to air and near water, I can't hang bats outside for wetness and vermin reasons.

So, I'm considering putting a layer of this moisture blocking material on top of the floor, then this insulation (foil side down), then the carpet. Do you think this will do a good job insulating the floor and also keep the insulation dry in a humid environment? Also, does anybody know how spongy the insulation is?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SimpleSolutions-Moisturbloc-120-sq-ft-12-ft-x-10-ft-6-mil- Film-Vapor-Barrier-Underlayment-45040/100661861#.UeoH8U7D_mQ

http://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouch-48-in-x-6-ft-Radiant-Barrier-30000-11406/100656 748#.UeoHpE7D_mR

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 22:28 - Edited by: bldginsp

I rather doubt that such thin insulation will make much noticeable difference. Your suggestion to put it foil face down made me research, again, how radiant barriers work, which has always been a bit of a mystery to me. For a foil face to work as a radiant barrier it must have at least a 3/4" air space on the side of the foil. But I don't know if that's what you intended or if that's what the product is supposed to do. But if it did work as a radiant barrier in the application you describe, it would reflect heat away from the room, which I don't think you want.

Since you don't think bats underneath are an option. What about 2" rigid foam underneath? That would give you R-12, enough to notice.

spencerin
# Posted: 21 Jul 2013 01:13

bldginsp

I just want to keep heat in during the winter more than anything. The floor gets COLD when it gets cold outside. I didn't think about 2" rigid foam underneath, thanks for the idea. I have to see if I can fit underneath, though, not a lot of room to wiggle around.

creeky
# Posted: 21 Jul 2013 09:10

apparently there can be problems with putting insulation underneath a floor: moisture barrier on two sides / joists that are warm in one spot and cold in another can have condensation ... I know I keep posting the buildingscience.com link, but it's worth looking at.
To beat this problem I put foam on top of my floor and then put flooring overtop of that. i should have put down a floating subfloor and then the laminate flooring. but. next time.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.