Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / sub-floor options
mattd
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 14:31

i'll have a 16'x20' floor. perfect dimensions for 4'x8' sheeting, but wondering what others have used for a sub-floor. it's going to be a hunting cabin, and i dont plan on going with anything on top of the sub-floor other then throw rug or similar.

GomerPile
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 15:17

My 14x18 I use 4x8 Advantech OSB in 3/4" thick. I'm planning 3/4 hardwood over mine.

Floating snap-together laminate is pretty darn cheap .50/sf or so.....might as well make it look nice

MJW
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 16:13

Advantech here also.

We went over that 3/4 inch subfloor with 3/4 inch pine. Stained and poly.
DSCN0412.JPG
DSCN0412.JPG

mattd
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 16:33

that looks great but i'm also trying to control cost. i have trespasser concerns, and dont want to sink a bunch of money into something that might get vandalized. plus the cabin in my minds eye is similar to something that an early settler would have. i was thinking pallet planks, but they are probably too thin.

GomerPile
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 17:02

In that case how about strapping over 16 OC joists? Stain and poly....

mattd
# Posted: 23 Jul 2013 11:02

you think it would have to be 16 OC? the tables i was looking at for sheeting said 24 oc joists worked for 23/32 sheeting. home depot has strapping that actually measures 1x4, not .75x3.5. any reason the thicker strapping wouldnt work over the same span as the sheeting?

MJW
# Posted: 23 Jul 2013 11:56 - Edited by: MJW

Quoting: mattd
that looks great but i'm also trying to control cost.

This stuff is 1 x 6 t&g pine siding. It is the same stuff we did the entire exterior walls in. For the floors, we just turned it flat side up.

@ .78 a sq ft, it was pretty cheap.

GomerPile
# Posted: 23 Jul 2013 16:12

Sheet goods distribute the loads over a larger area. T&G flooring acts like sheet goods as the tongues couple all the boards together. Strapping has no tongues and wont hold as much weight.

That said, 1" thick boards should span 24 inches without any problem.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Jul 2013 16:53

Sheet goods for subflooring also makes the entire floor more rigid. In the days before sheet goods 1x's were used, but placed at a diagonal over the floor joists. By them selves they still might have some spring and some squeek diagonally ot at right angles. The wider the board the better too as a 1x8 won't move quite as much as a 1x4 would when stepped on. Hard to beat sheet goods for stiffness, ability to hold the floor square and be very cost effective. Advantech stands up amazingly well. Try painting it if cheap is a major part of the goal.

WY_mark
# Posted: 23 Jul 2013 23:12

I'd do 3/4 osb and paint it with some porch paint

in fact, until I have money for a floor that's exactly what I've done. paint makes it easier to clean up, osb gives a good rigid floor.

Storogoth
# Posted: 24 Jul 2013 01:52 - Edited by: Storogoth

+1 for the 3/4" Advantech. It had to weather for almost 5 months before I got a roof over it. Held out really well too. Now it's been a couple of years and is solid, no give at all. Well worth the extra cash. Here is mid-June 2011...
Advantech floor on joists
Advantech floor on joists

mattd
# Posted: 24 Jul 2013 09:12

Quoting: Storogoth
It had to weather for almost 5 months before I got a roof over it.

did you tarp it? or completely exposed?

ICC
# Posted: 24 Jul 2013 10:08

read about the product
http://www.huberwood.com/advantech/home-advantech

amazing stuff w/o being tarped
if it was going to be painted as a temp floor i'd lay it and paint it then build on it and then repaint the floor after work is done.

Storogoth
# Posted: 24 Jul 2013 10:47

No way to really tarp it and keep all water from not pooling. We had to sweep water and even snow off when we arrived on weekends.

Tobit
# Posted: 24 Jul 2013 17:10

Storogoth - what size is that deck? Did you end up adding cross bracing at all? Thanks.

Storogoth
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 02:13

Floor of the cabin is 15'x16'. Enclosed space 16'x20'. Crawlspace is about 4' with 2x4 framing and 5/8" sheathing. First pic is exactly a year ago. Second pic about 5 weeks ago. I could always add some diagonal braces but seems unnecessary at this point.

Going up this weekend to get started on the Hardi lap siding.
Crawlspace
Crawlspace
Mid June 2013
Mid June 2013

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 1 Aug 2013 08:36

I may go with 2 x 8 tongue and groove southern yellow pine over my floor joists and be done with it.

http://www.menards.com/main/mobile/building-materials/lumber-boards/lumber/pattern-lu mber/2-x-8-x-12-2-syp-tongue-groove/p-1414189-c-13151.htm

-Brian
SYP Tongue and Groove
SYP Tongue and Groove

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.