Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Storage shed... closed or open?
optimistic
# Posted: 23 Jul 2013 21:19

I am thinking about building a storage area. It will mainly house firewood but I also want to keep other things there... some tools, sawdust for compost toilet, plastic drums, and other things that won't fit in my tiny 144 sqft cabin... which I assume might be a nice amount as time goes by.

I am debating between building an enclosed A frame structure vs just a roof.... Thoughts?

One of my things though - I want it to be a simple structure.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Jul 2013 21:57

Myself, I like both. Firewood needs shelter from rain and snow but also needs air movement for drying. Most tools need more complete shelter from weather and some sort of protection from unwanted visitors; a generator inside and out of sight for example may not tempt a thief unless they break into the building.

I have ended up with more storage space than the cabin. Some storage totally enclosed, some like firewood under a roof and walls built to allow venting and limiting rain and snow entry. And some fenced in between buildings, open to sky but behind tall metal panels walls. Locked.

The storage areas all grew over time.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 24 Jul 2013 09:58

I agree with ICC- the best solution is probably both. Firewood, along with needing air movement, also brings with it dirt and insects- both of which are best left outside. Tools are just the opposite, they need protection and security.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.