Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Quick question about 4' x 8' sheet goods orientation
grover
# Posted: 3 Aug 2013 10:51

Why is it common practice to lay subflooring longways across the floor joists and we put sheathing on vertically with the wall framing?

Redneck7
# Posted: 3 Aug 2013 11:59

Well for walls your actually suppose to put the sheathing on horizontally with the studs, just like sub floor, this makes its stronger for the wall or floor to not want to rack. If you put a side force on a wal that te sheathing is horizontal it's alot stronger because you have crossed more studs. And staggering your sheets at least two.

Kyle.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Aug 2013 20:40 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: grover
Why is it common practice to lay subflooring longways across the floor joists and we put sheathing on vertically with the wall framing?

For more strength. As for walls, who wants a seam half way down the siding. That is why full sheets are long ways on walls. Unless it was an underlay where you would put a beveled siding over it. The sideways would work???

Roof sheeting goes sideways too and make sure you stagger it like brick work. This ties is all in nice and tight.

grover
# Posted: 3 Aug 2013 22:13

Red, anytime I've seen the sheathing done it is vertical. I thought it was as Toyota said, so there wouldn't be as many seams exposed.

I don't know...just a random thought. Call me Jack Handy.

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Aug 2013 16:07

The reason that sheathing panels are usually installed vertically on a wall stems from the building codes. Not that the code says to do that. The IRC does state though that all edges must be nailed around the perimeter of the sheet. You can install the wall sheathing horizontally but then in order to meet code blocking would have to be installed all along that horizontal joint/seam. Without the blocking and nailing that edge the wall has less stength than installing the sheets vertically.

Extra point in favor of vertical sheathing is that OSB is available in 9 and 10 ft lengths as well as 12 ft (in some places) for tall walls and for overlapping beams and rim joists.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.