Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / water cistern - again
WY_mark
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 20:27

Hey all,
I've gotten the last of my quotes for a cistern and am bummed that everyone wants to charge $6-8k for what appears to be $2k of materials. I can get a 1450 concrete cistern delivered for $1000, I can get the hole dug for $500. I'm really considering doing the plumbing part myself.
Can anyone point me to good instructions on installing the pump and what I need to request from the cistern place for pipe access? I know a number of people have suggested inexpensive northern tool pump options and such, but no offense, I'm not looking for the cheapest way out of this. The cistern will go under 4' of dirt and I don't ever want to have to dig it up to replace a pump.
If I use a jet pump, does anything even go in the cistern? or do I just pipe to it?
The plan is to have the pipes trenched to our crawl space which is 4' deep and we'll go under the footing so this keeps everything below our 42" frost line. I do need to power my pump with a generator (120v) and hope I don't have to buy a 240 generator for it.
Ideas? instructions? plumbers who would just consult and let me do the work?
thanks in advance!
Mark

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.