Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Building with reclaimed materials?
greenacarina
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 22:07

Does anyone here have experience with this?
I am curious to see what can do with reclaimed wood.
Specifically I want to see if I can build a decent looking/functioning outhouse out of wood pallets. It will be in a damp environment (woods near the ocean), so preservation is my biggest concern. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

Truecabin
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 23:43

dont waste your time with pallets they could be any kind of wood some might last and others disintegrate in 2 years

then if you built something you like its half rotten

if you want to use pallets choose only the very heavy ones
light pallets will split when you nail it then they rot quick
heavy pallets might be oak and its no fun to nail oak

greenacarina
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 00:03

So, here is a follow-up question - How well does latex paint preserve wood in a damp environment?

And if pallets are a waste of time...what would you suggest for a source of reclaimed wood?

Thanks,
Chris

Martian
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 09:23 - Edited by: Martian

One of the most rot resistant woods is Heart or yellow pine, but if it is contact with damp ground, it will only last 8-10 years. If you can find some old bridge timbers or crossties, creosote impregnated, they will last forever! Use them on the ground and build up from there with old pine.

Rossman
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 10:00

Cedar is also pretty rot resistant...

I second the railroad ties as a base!

Truecabin
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 10:42

hard to recommend reclaimed wood over the internet it depends where you are and what wood is available and different woods behave different around the world

easy to forget that sometimes a guy wants to built something and an outhouse from pallets is a good project
sorry worrying about the wood is stupid when you have no outhouse yet get your outhouse done if it doesnt last forever then you make a new one

with all wood use a base to block the moisture from the dirt and a roof for above and paint for the sides and protect from splashing too it will be fine sorry for raining on your pallets

greenacarina
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 15:46

Yeah, that's kind of my notion at this point. Was thinking of railroad ties as my base and I don't expect this thing to last forever. I'd be happy to get more than 5 years out of it. I need an outhouse, first and foremost...and this is a good exercise for me in building something and seeing if I can make "something from nothing"

Thanks,
Chris

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.