Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / How to treat logs?
OutsideFun1
# Posted: 10 Aug 2013 12:25

I am interested in building a log home some day and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to preserve the logs. I've heard so many different contradictory suggestions that it's not even funny. I would be happy if someone could give me some clarity on this issue.

Thanks.

Just
# Posted: 10 Aug 2013 13:04

keep them dry is the best ,a good big 36 in. overhang on the cabin and as high up off the ground as you can with your foundation . if you do that then no nasty chemicals are needed..

Malamute
# Posted: 10 Aug 2013 20:21

It depends on how wet your climate is. I live in very dry country in the Rockies, logs discolor and gain character, but dont tend to rot if nothing is done to them. I've enver put anything on the cabions I've built or lived in. There are tons of old cabins still surviving in various levels of disrepair all over the area. Most have never had anything done. So long as you keep a roof on them and dont let the cracks accumulate water and dirt, they seem to hold up alright. Beyond that, most around here use Messmers UV plus to stain and protect their logs on modern log buildings.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 11 Aug 2013 00:14 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

We have a log home in Canada and used Perma-Chink. You know when a log or wood starts to turn that silver gray that some people love? That is the first stage of rot.

I posted photos on here of before and after about a year ago.

Malamute
# Posted: 12 Aug 2013 10:43 - Edited by: Malamute

Quoting: silverwaterlady
...You know when a log or wood starts to turn that silver gray that some people love? That is the first stage of rot...

True, though as I mentioned above, in many places it doesnt seem to be a real problem, so long as water and dirt arent allowed to collect in cracks.

There are scads of 100 year old cabins all over this area, most havent had anything to treat the logs.

I actually like the mottled brownish color logs turn more than the silver-gray.

OutsideFun1
# Posted: 12 Aug 2013 13:42

I live in southern Canada. Messmers UV plus sounds interesting. I'm guessing that basically keeps the sun from fading the wood. Thanks for the help.

OutsideFun1
# Posted: 12 Aug 2013 13:44

Thank you. I have heard that 36 inch overhang and keeping the cabin at least 2 feet off the ground is the best protection.

Kudzu
# Posted: 12 Aug 2013 13:45

with respect

OutsideFun1
# Posted: 12 Aug 2013 13:45

Can you give me a link to those pics? I can't find them.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 12 Aug 2013 14:54 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Could not find the link. Here are some before and after photos:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
log_cabin.jpg
log_cabin.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.