Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / What do you think of this cabin building idea ?
terracore
# Posted: 11 Aug 2013 19:16

This is my first post. Let me introduce myself and my idea. My wife and I have a small 3 acre farm on the Big Island of Hawaii. We recently acquired the adjoining 3 acre parcel and would like to put up a small off grid cabin for guests to stay in. The 3 acre parcel is stunning native ohia forest though it does have a great clearing for the cabin. I am not a builder, or even very handy, though I have been able to succeed at big projects including gigantic outdoor aviaries for our 7 parrots.

My idea is very basic. I have reviewed dozens, maybe hundreds of "plans" on the internet and none of them meet my very basic requirements:

Cheap to build
Easy to build
Synergy of the above two requirements is minimum measuring/cutting, and maximum use of purchased materials.
Completed in stages, functional right away
Official use is an agricultural shed, no permits required

CONCEPT: 12x16 living space and a 4x16 lanai (porch). Total footprint 16x16.

FOUNDATION/FLOOR: Judging from the sizes of building supplies available to me and in an effort to reduce waste, cutting, and making the most of every component, my idea is that I would construct a 16x16 foundation using a basic deck design. I can remove the topsoil and place concrete blocks directly on lava rock, and of course we have no frost line. When the deck is framed out I would put plywood floor on a 12x16 portion of the deck joists and then frame the walls using conventional framing techniques on that 12x16 area. The remaining 4x16 section, the lanai (the porch) would have standard decking wood planks.

ROOF: Because it rains here every day, the construction area will be covered by a 20x20 car canopy tarp system which is very common in this area. At first, to make the cabin useable, the roof will be flat. Basically the ceiling will be the roof... probably plywood. I will add a slanted metal roof, probably 20x20 or 24x24 to protect the cabin later, before the car canopy tarp system is removed. The downhill side of the slanted roof will have a gutter system to collect water for the outdoor shower and low flush composting toilet (to be added later).

WALLS: Here's a big question. Homes in Hawaii are usually built without insulation and until recently single wall construction was the norm. My question is- do I need "real" walls? My idea was that I would attach treated and painted (painted both sides) T1-11 siding directly to the 2x4 framing to be the building exterior. The interior walls will be bamboo paneling. So no "real" walls. Just siding on one side of the 2x4s and paneling on the other. I was going to seal the heck out of the siding seams using spray foam insulation to keep the bugs out. What do you think of this idea? My goal here is save money, and no insulation is needed nor desired.

FINISHING: I would eventually cover the plywood floor with vinyl or something cheap, maybe even something reclaimed. Will probably just use paint initially. I'm not going to have a standard door, just a sliding glass door leading from the lanai to inside the cabin, and large windows on the other three walls. At our elevation nobody has heating or cooling systems other than opening/closing their windows. I am experienced with DIY solar, and would outfit the cabin with a small solar system to provide 12v LED lighting and also to power the water pump. Eventually a small/basic propane galley "kitchenette" may be added to the lanai later.

My initial materials list would be concrete blocks, deck building supplies, 2x4s for framing in the walls, plywood for floors/ceiling, paint, siding, paneling, sliding door, and windows. At that point, it would be suitable for a short term guest. Later I would add the permanent roof and other items.

Please pick apart my ideas, point out the flaws, and hopefully, offer suggestions.

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Aug 2013 20:02 - Edited by: trollbridge

I would just like to say welcome! You will find a lot of help here from friendly folks just like you

I read through your plans and the first thing I noticed is that you have been giving your design and construction much thought. That's great! The more thought out the smoother, more cost efficient your build will be, and therefore, the happier you will be!!! Yay!

Best of luck to you. When we built our 12x16 we did each half at a time. When the 2nd half was done we cut through the two to open them up to one another. We then added the porch. I like the idea of doing your foundation all at one time.

Congratulations on purchasing more land and dreaming the dream! I look forward to enjoying pictures and watching your place come alive!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 12 Aug 2013 00:20

I think you can handle it! Step-by-step just like you are headed.

The only question I have about the building: is this typical of the area? I would want to make sure it uses as much design and materials from that area as possible.

terracore
# Posted: 12 Aug 2013 20:58

Quoting: TheCabinCalls
The only question I have about the building: is this typical of the area? I would want to make sure it uses as much design and materials from that area as possible.

LOL. There is nothing typical about building in Puna. You can have a multi-million dollar home a few houses down from people living in tents. They estimate over 1200 families live in unpermitted dwellings in this district alone. I was planning to incorporate some of the lumber from the parcel into the building, but for aesthetic reasons only.

Due to finances it will be awhile before I post any pics of progress. First things I'll be doing is free/cheap things like preparing the site and planting some ornamental and fruit trees that will be the cabin's landscaping.

glcarr
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 23:18

Sounds like a great plan and best of all simple and using materials to your native land. I love this forum because we are everyday working people trying to help each other to live our dream of a simple life. Thanx for your post it gives me hope for our cabin.

bldginsp
# Posted: 28 Oct 2013 08:51

Sounds like an excellent plan for a Hawaii house.

Most walls are just what you describe- 2x4s, outside sheathing, inside covering, insulation only if you need it. I'd suggest pulling wire in the walls before you cover up even if the cabin has no electricity, because you may eventually put it in and it's easier to do while building.

Only other suggestion I'd make is to think about hurricane protection. Maybe you don't even want to bother, but if you do, you'd need to tie the foundation to the lava bedrock, and connect everything inbetween so that when the wind is trying to rip off the roof the walls are holding it down. Do people there do much hurricane prep when building, or do they figure, if it happens, it happens?

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 28 Oct 2013 09:18

terracore I would make your porch deeper than 4'. It will get more use out of it and it will give you a dry place to hang on rainy days.

HoosierDad
# Posted: 28 Oct 2013 18:42

I concur on changing the porch depth. 4' is really too shallow to be useable. I think you really want to go at least 8' - otherwise it just won't get used.

rockies
# Posted: 28 Oct 2013 19:46

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/build-this-cozy-cabin.aspx#axzz2j3zU4whR
Here is a very well know design from Mother Earth News. It can be built for about $4000. It is slightly bigger than your size requirements, but simple enough to be altered easily by you if you need to.

TheAnswerIs42
# Posted: 25 Jan 2014 23:01

Congrats on the Puna purchase. I spent 7 years in Kohala. A couple of things to think about:
1. Earthquakes. The two 6.7's only minutes apart was very disturbing. Buildings shifted 2-3 feet. Utilities coming up or going down through foundations were severed. Some small buildings collapsed because they were not properly sheared while framing.
2. VOG. Air quality is very poor when the VOG rolls over you.
3. Winds. The trades can get pretty rough at times. If it ain't tacked down you will eventually have to hunt it down.
4. Lava flows. Research past flows. This may help you determine how much you really want to invest.
5. You are living in paradise. The land of perpetual summer. Enjoy it as much as you can.
Aloha

gersus
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 10:10

Welcome!
No frost line, that would be nice!

terracore
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 14:13

I thought I would provide an update. I haven't been able to afford the building supplies yet but I have worked on the project. I made a clearing in the jungle to accommodate the cabin and the landscaping. I have also planted two coconut palms and done some other minor landscaping. I hope to start the first stage of the construction this year as money becomes available.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.