Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Insulated foundation
Liamey
# Posted: 12 Aug 2013 19:55

I have been trying to research insulated foundations for a small cabin 16x24 to be constructed in a remote area.
I was wondering if anyone has tried this method as apparently this saves a fair amount of digging to get below the frost line. I have dug 15 holes at 3 foot deep and let me tell you it has been a hard slog on my own with all the rocks etc. hence the insulated part to save me having to dig another 15 foot.
My question: would you encase the sides of each concrete footer that are on the outside of the cabin or pour the footer as normal and then place the rigid insulation 1 foot under grade? Would you do the entire perimeter with the rigid insulation or just a sheet around each post? No need to do the middle posts right? The cabin will be used in the winter but not all the time so in other words not constantly heated. The way I have dug the holes will mean that there will be 1/2 foot overhang of the floor.

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Aug 2013 20:08

Quoting: Liamey
.....used in the winter but not all the time so in other words not constantly heated.

This can be a problem. Most information on what is known as a "shallow frost free foundation" assumes the bldg will be heated continually in winter. There are methods that will work for bldgs that are unheated or heated sporadically.

Google shallow frost free foundation and look for info on unheated applications. Unheated generally requires much more insulation buried and covering a larger area. It'slike using a large blanket under the earth to encapsulate the heat from within the deeper layers of the earth.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.