Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / plumbing issue...
optimistic
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 08:31

I finished my plumbing using pex pipe and shark bite. I have an indoor (inside the cabin) 18 gallon water tank that then feeds my shurflu 2088 park model rv pump. From there it feeds , tankless water heater, outdoor hose, shower, kitchen sink, shower sink, and toilet. I made the plumbing so at the very bottom - there is a valve that was supposed to empty the water from the tank and all pipes..

I tested it yesterday and it didn't drain. Water seem to be stuck in the pipes and even the tank that empty which seems very strange.I know there is a check valve in the pump but it seems that it is supposed to stop water from going back toward the inlet so when I let the water drain - it should go through it. But it didn't. Maybe I don't understand how the pump works?

I'm attaching images I took but I'll try to add notes to the images later if you can't understand how it is supposed to be set up.. I'm not on my computer so I can't do it easily..

Martian
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 08:58

You need to let air in as the water drains. Open the shower valves. The diaphragm in the pump is probably stiff. I'm assuming you have a vent in the tank, right?

optimistic
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 09:12

Yes - tank has vent. I opened all the valves. Even the tank doesn't drain which seems like it will be the first thing to go.. It sits high and above pump.

Tearing my hair out with this thing

optimistic
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 09:22

Meant to put this photos of the tank as well -

creeky
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 09:33

nice looking set up anyway.
just fill me in. you ran water through all the lines and verified water was coming out of all the fixtures. then you turned off the pump. opened all the valves and opened the "end of season" drain valve and no water came out/some water?
you know, first time doing something, there's usually something simple that you've overlooked (would be my experience;). in my last house we had to have the shower valves open for the house to drain back properly.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 09:34

Opti... If you have a vent as Martian confirmed, the only other option is that something is blocking the line. Assuming you have no other closed valves or blockages in the path, I would look very closely at the pump. If you disconnect the water line from the discharge side of the pump, do the water lines then empty? How about the tank, does it then drain? If pipes empty and the tank doesn't, it's probably the check valve in the pump.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 11:13

Sometimes you have to unscrew the water filter!

Martian
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 11:28

Its hard to tell from the picture, but are you pulling from the top of the tank? Is the vent in the same line as the pickup?

Just
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 20:54

to get the water out you must let air in ,you may need a air inlet valve at the top of the system. water will not drain through a flow jet pump you need a outlet on both sides of the pump .Then turn on the pump and get all the water out of the pump or fill it with antifreeze .

optimistic
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 21:43

Creeky - yes.. Exactly. Twice actually.

Pa bound - I do think its the pump some how. I disconnected the pump to empty the tank and water did not come out of the pipes

Sustainfarm - water filter is not connected to the system really.. It just dumps water

Martian - I am pulling water from the bottom left of the tank and on the top right of the tank is where water is entered and also where the vent is..

Martian
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 23:37

Okay. Then I can't imagine the problem, unless you put the drain in the hot water line instead of the cold. Now if you tell me you have two drain valves, one in each side, then I'm screwed!

Let me get this straight: you're pulling water out of the bottom of the tank, and yet, the tank doesn't simply drain when you bypass the pump? Then, I'd say the drain is definitely in the hot water line.

Tom

optimistic
# Posted: 2 Sep 2013 08:46

I didn't try to bypass the pump.. That will work for sure.

I'll try to draw on the images to explain how it works

But I'm losing my mind as to why it won't drain through the pump.. I'm trying to drain in the right direction of the check valve right ?

I can drain the tank by running the pump until its empty (the pump is supposed to be able to run dry.. But is that bad to do ) and then try to add a vent past the pump and see if that helps with draining the pipes ...

creeky
# Posted: 2 Sep 2013 09:16

i think you found your problem. i would try disconnecting the pump out line and see if it drains then.
also. as just mentions. i used to winterize the trailer by pumping out the water, then putting a couple gallons of rv antifreeze in the tank and then running all the lines with antifreeze. worked great and so easy.
i hope those pumps can run dry. i ran out of water doing laundry once and that pump ran for better than ten minutes before I noticed. seems okay.

Martian
# Posted: 2 Sep 2013 09:20

Opti, what is the model and manufacturer of the pump? I'd like to look at the inside of the pump to see if my memory is correct as to how that one works.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 2 Sep 2013 09:26

I'm not able to test the Shurflow, but I have another pump that has a spring driven check-valve. It will open with the pressure of the pump behind it, but it will not open with just the pressure of a few gallons of water. I wonder if the Shurflow's use something similar.

rayyy
# Posted: 2 Sep 2013 21:13

Yep,It's not the pumps fault.It won't let water pass through it.when you suck water up into a straw and stick your thumb over the top,you suspend trapped water in the straw, move your thumb and let air in the water falls right out.

optimistic
# Posted: 3 Sep 2013 06:42

This is my pump - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B63ZAU/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I m not home so I can't add to the photos yet to help explain the system

Martian
# Posted: 3 Sep 2013 20:45 - Edited by: Martian

Rayyy is right. That pump isn't going to let you drain the tank or lines. Those three chambers are the pump, and only 1 is open at any point in time. Two might be partially open, but no way all three are at the same time.

Plumb in a bypass to drain the lines, and run the pump for a few seconds to clear it.

If it were me, I'd leave a gallon of water in the tank, add potable antifreeze and pump it thru the system. Then drain your lines. If there is any liquid trapped, it will won't freeze. You have some really inaccessible fittings. I'd do everything I could think of to keep them from breaking!

Tom

optimistic
# Posted: 4 Sep 2013 21:25

Thanks for the help. I have a valve after the pump - I'll swap it for a valve with air inlet. Forgot how they are called. Update soon

Martian
# Posted: 4 Sep 2013 23:27

I wouldn't put in a syphon break. Instead, plumb in a ball valve you open when you drain the line. A syphon break may allow air into the system when you don't want it.

Tom

optimistic
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 13:55

Tom - this is what I meant : http://www.pexsupply.com/Cash-Acme-22305-0000LF-3-4-SharkBite-Ball-Valve-with-Drain-L ead-Free

Will this work?

Martian
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 21:23

That's exactly what I'd use, Opti. There is no way air will accidentally get into the system.

Tom

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.