Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Rafter size for 16 wide cabin
dusty46
# Posted: 8 Sep 2013 17:34

Hi first post for me I'm building a 24 x16 cabin with loft and want to either go 10/12 or 11/12 pitch. Can I use 2x6 rafters are do I need to go to 2x8. Thanks

rockies
# Posted: 8 Sep 2013 19:15

If you're insulating you'll need to provide a vented space above the insulation at least 2 inches deep. Plus it depends on your climate and the amount of snow you get. If you're going to an 11/12 pitch you might as well go to a 12/12 pitch and then all your cuts are 45 degrees. I would pick a 2x8 rafter at a minimum, and maybe a 2x10 if you want more insulation.

dusty46
# Posted: 8 Sep 2013 20:34 - Edited by: dusty46

I live in louisiana. Snow is not an issue I was more concerned about the structural intergrity with 2x 6 if they would carry that long I know I will have to do collar ties and rafter ties

dusty46
# Posted: 8 Sep 2013 20:42

Another question should I use 4 x6 beams or 6x6. For the joist sills

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Sep 2013 21:19

Quoting: dusty46
Another question should I use 4 x6 beams or 6x6. For the joist sills

You mean for the main floor joists to sit on or be hung from?
Depends on the what they are sitting on. Piers? Then how far apart?

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Sep 2013 21:21 - Edited by: MtnDon

As for the rafters, as was mentioned, depends on if you plan to insert insulation between the rafters and how much R-value you want. There are other ways to insulate well, but using 2x12 rafters may be the easiest and most cost effective. R30 is the recommended amount for all of LA.

2x6 are fine for the load carrying (across the 16 ft width) for all the common species and #2 grades, but too shallow a depth if you want to keep summer sun heat minimized.

dusty46
# Posted: 8 Sep 2013 21:44

Thank you soo much for your help. I'm using the beams to support floor joist. If I use 4x6 I'm Ganna put 4 rows between the 16 feet

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Sep 2013 22:19

Quoting: dusty46
I'm using the beams to support floor joist. If I use 4x6 I'm Ganna put 4 rows between the 16 feet

I am not sure I follow that. ??? On a 16 ft wide cabin the floor joists would normally run across the 26 foot width and the floor joists would be resting on the beams. The beams in turn would be supported by either wood/concrete piers or a full perimeter foundation of concrete block, even poured concrete. Or as some do they place beams on the ground.

If you support the beams off the ground, the beams must be sized for the spacing of the supports. Unless these supports are very closely spaced a 4x6 is maybe on the small side.

So, are the beams meant to be on ground or off ground? And spacing distance, if off ground.

You have enough termites in LA so a foundation placing the building off ground has certain advantages as does concrete for a foundation.

Hartford
# Posted: 31 Dec 2013 11:02

How is your building coming along? Iam building in pearl river, la by jun 2014. 14 ft x 36 ft with 2 loft. I have the cement foundation done. It will be elevated about 30 inches plus off the groind

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.