Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cozy Cabin for $4000 Additions
rockies
# Posted: 9 Sep 2013 18:55

Here is the cabin design with a pantry and screen porch attached. The Porch and pantry roofs are a 3/12 pitch.
Floorplan additions
Floorplan additions

rockies
# Posted: 9 Sep 2013 18:57

Sections
Pantry Section North
Pantry Section North
Pantry Section South
Pantry Section South
Porch Section East
Porch Section East
Porch Section West
Porch Section West

rockies
# Posted: 9 Sep 2013 18:58

Elevations
East Elev
East Elev
North Elev
North Elev
West Elev
West Elev
South Elev
South Elev

rockies
# Posted: 9 Sep 2013 19:05

As I mentioned with the initial design, this cabin can be built and finished in stages, depending on your financial situation. I plan to heat it with an indoor wood burning furnace from "Profab" that will be in a small out-building. The electrical and water purification equipment will be located there as well. The foundation will be a concrete pier and wooden perimeter beam design. I'm hoping that the roof and floor will be made out of 10 1/4 inch SIPS so that i don't have to worry about insulation levels and vapour barriers. Just lay the panel, seal the seams and you're done. Exterior walls are 2x6 studs and interior walls are 2x4. Let me know if you have any comments or questions.

luther
# Posted: 30 Oct 2013 19:54

I was originally reading your post on the "your biggest mistake" thread and then found this thread. Your design looks great, and all that planning will pay off. I recently built a 20x20 with loft and a few weeks after I was done was wishing it was 24x24... oh well, I am able to easily add an addition or two.

I also looked at the SIPS floor panels but decided that they were a bit out of my price range.

My only suggestion is to not make too many full height closets in the living room, you may find that it closes off the space.

If you want to take a look at my cabin thread its called "My build in Nova Scotia"

travcojim
# Posted: 31 Oct 2013 11:19

Wonder if that could be modified to a shed roof design?

rockies
# Posted: 31 Oct 2013 20:40

A shed roof could be done provided that the stem wall on one side (probably the north side) was increased in height to around 4 feet, just to get enough headroom across the loft and not have an incredibly steep roof. This would allow you to have standard height walls on the south side and put in windows. I have since reworked the west wall with the built-in sofa being recessed into a bumpout, so there is now room for a small dining area on the south side of the livingroom and the closets are along the north livingroom wall.

rockies
# Posted: 1 Nov 2013 18:41 - Edited by: rockies

Hi everyone. This is an updated design for my cabin. The basic footprint of 14x20 has been extended on the west side by adding on a 4x10 foot bumpout to hold the builtin sofa. I did find that having tall closets on each side of the sofa with a shelf overhead (shown in the original plan) made the room feel a little closed off. I also changed the double outswing door to a single outswing door next to two windows. This change gives me space for a dining table and chairs in front of the two windows. The kitchen and bathroom were lengthened by a foot allowing for more counter space in the kitchen and a bigger bathroom vanity. Upstairs I increased the stem walls in the loft to a height of 2'9" with a steeper roof pitch of 4:12 for the lower roofs. The extra height in the loft lets me have gable windows at a standard height of 80" and also allows for an easier "tie-in" from the roof of the future screen porch to the main roof's eaveline on the south side. A few other minor adjustments here and there to line up openings, etc, but otherwise it's pretty similar to the original plan. Let me know what you think. Thanks for all your previous advice.
Basic Cabin Floorplan
Basic Cabin Floorplan
Basic Cabin Layout
Basic Cabin Layout
Pantry Addition Layout
Pantry Addition Layout
Pantry Addition Loftplan
Pantry Addition Loftplan

rockies
# Posted: 1 Nov 2013 18:44

These sections show the cabin as a basic build, with just the original 14x20 foot size, and also with the pantry added.
Basic Cabin Section West
Basic Cabin Section West
Basic Cabin Section East
Basic Cabin Section East
Pantry Addition Section East
Pantry Addition Section East
Pantry Addition Section South
Pantry Addition Section South

rockies
# Posted: 1 Nov 2013 18:46

Basic cabin elevations
Basic Cabin East Elev
Basic Cabin East Elev
Basic Cabin North Elev
Basic Cabin North Elev
Basic Cabin West Elev
Basic Cabin West Elev
Basic Cabin South Elev
Basic Cabin South Elev

rockies
# Posted: 1 Nov 2013 18:48

Pantry Addition Elevations
Pantry Addition East Elev
Pantry Addition East Elev
Pantry Addition North elev
Pantry Addition North elev
Pantry Addition West Elev
Pantry Addition West Elev
Pantry Addition South Elev
Pantry Addition South Elev

rockies
# Posted: 1 Nov 2013 18:49 - Edited by: rockies

Framing Perspectives. Ridge beam and support post not shown
From SE
From SE
From SW
From SW
Basic Cabin Loftplan
Basic Cabin Loftplan
Pantry Addition Layout
Pantry Addition Layout

adakseabee
# Posted: 1 Nov 2013 20:13

Rockies, what drafting program are you using for your plan, elevation and perspective views? Thanks. Adakseabee

rockies
# Posted: 2 Nov 2013 18:46 - Edited by: rockies

Porch Addition
Porch Addition Foundation
Porch Addition Foundation
Porch Addition Floorplan
Porch Addition Floorplan
Porch Addition Loftplan
Porch Addition Loftplan
Porch Addition Section East
Porch Addition Section East

rockies
# Posted: 2 Nov 2013 18:53 - Edited by: rockies

I used Chief Architect, the free trial version. You can't save drawings in the free trial version, but I just take screen-shots of my work when I'm done. The downside is that if you want to make changes later you have to redraw the entire plan from scratch and then take another screen shot. The program does a lot of the calculating work for you, and automatically creates the elevations, sections, framing diagrams and material lists.
Porch Addition Section West
Porch Addition Section West
Porch Addition East Elev
Porch Addition East Elev
Porch Addition South Elev
Porch Addition South Elev
Porch Addition West Elev
Porch Addition West Elev

rockies
# Posted: 5 Nov 2013 17:47

Here is the cabin with a dedicated mudroom added on the north side by turning the window opening into a doorway. A future master bedroom can be added on the north side of the new mudroom later on.
Mudroom Foundation
Mudroom Foundation
Mudroom Floorplan
Mudroom Floorplan
Mudroom Section East
Mudroom Section East
Mudroom Section West
Mudroom Section West

rockies
# Posted: 5 Nov 2013 17:48

Elevations
East Elev
East Elev
North Elev
North Elev
West Elev
West Elev
South Elev
South Elev

rockies
# Posted: 5 Nov 2013 17:49

Perspectives
From NE
From NE
From NW
From NW
From SE
From SE
From SW
From SW

rockies
# Posted: 8 Nov 2013 19:21

Mudroom Sections
Mudroom Section North
Mudroom Section North
Mudroom Section South
Mudroom Section South

rockies
# Posted: 8 Nov 2013 19:23

Framing Plans
Main Floor Framing Layout
Main Floor Framing Layout
Loft Framing Layout
Loft Framing Layout
Framing View Looking North
Framing View Looking North
Framing View Looking South
Framing View Looking South

rockies
# Posted: 8 Nov 2013 19:40

There are no framing plans for the roof or the floor system on the main level because they are going to be made out of 10 1/4" SIP panels. In the framing elevations the windows and doors on the main level are raised off the floor by 6 inches. This is to allow for the inclusion of a 6" deep false floor throughout the main level. The false floor is the simplest method for running electrical, plumbing pipes and radiant floor heating between rooms and additions so that I don't have to cut down into the SIP floor panels. The cabin could be built without SIPS by using the standard system of joists and beams for the floor and roof, but I think building it piece by piece, putting in insulation and vapor barriers, leaving ventilation channels, attaching plywood sheathing (especially for the roof) is too time-consuming compared to the cost savings from standard construction. If you want to run pipes, etc, through a standard "joist" floor system (and don't have to worry about freezing conditions) then you can eliminate the 6 inch high false floor from the wall heights and just frame the walls as normal (80" window heights and no raised door sills).
Let me know if you have any questions.
Framing Looking East
Framing Looking East
Framing Looking West
Framing Looking West
Framing For Livingroom Bumpout
Framing For Livingroom Bumpout
Framing For Pantry Looking East
Framing For Pantry Looking East

rockies
# Posted: 9 Nov 2013 17:43 - Edited by: rockies

A further option would be the addition of a loft dormer to the cabin. This would be a 4:12 pitch roof measured down from the peak of the main roof. The resulting height of the front dormer wall leaves just enough room for a 36"H x 48"W casement window to be installed at the standard 80" height. The dormer itself is 6 feet wide but the program measures to the sheathing layer so some of the measurements look a little funny.
The entire purpose of this design is to show the range of possibilities for a basic 14x20 foot cabin. If you want (or budget dictates) you could build the cabin (shown as the "Basic Cabin") in this thread and have a very nice home contained in 320 sq feet. Or add on whichever pieces you want at whatever stage you need them. All in all, even if you built the entire cabin with pantry, screen porch and mudroom, it's still a lot of function in a grand total of only 548 sq feet.
Dormer Loft Plan
Dormer Loft Plan
Dormer Section Looking East
Dormer Section Looking East
House Section Looking East
House Section Looking East
Dormer Section Looking South
Dormer Section Looking South

rockies
# Posted: 9 Nov 2013 17:44

Cabin with dormer elevations
East Elev
East Elev
South Elev
South Elev
West Elev
West Elev
Dormer Specs
Dormer Specs

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.