Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Building Permits: Ohio
Smawgunner
# Posted: 16 Sep 2013 21:37

As I slowly rehab our log cabin, I plan on running electric to it, doing all the plumbing using a rain barrel system, compost toilet, and update things like windows, floors, shoring up the foundation etc. I'm pretty handy and can do all of those things including wiring the cabin (it's not that big). But at what point do I need a permit for these things and what happens if I do it without a permit....and the permit police show up? I know the electric will require a permit for sure.
Are most of you following the "rules" out there for your small cabins?

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Sep 2013 23:23

IF a permit is legally required for the jurisdiction, it must be obtained before work begins. I guess that goes without saying. If the work is done w/o a permit and you are found out later what happens can vary. At the least a cease work order will be issued and you would have to get a permit. Sometimes at double the cost.

A friend got caught after he had completed wiring his new garage w/o having a permit. The inspector showed him three spots where he had to cut out drywall and expose the wiring. Fortunately those spots passed, otherwise the BO would have had holes cut all over the place; maybe entire sheets removed.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 17 Sep 2013 14:23

Call anonymously to your town office and ask if you need a permit to run electric to the house. The electric company might even be able to answer that.

Pulling permits isn't always needed. If you are bumping out the original footprint or adding new living space then you need to, but if you are remodeling yourself then nobody needs to know who actually did the work. For all anyone knows you bought the house this way and it was code back then.

However, this should not be a reason to skimp on good work. You need to do it the right way. And safe way.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Sep 2013 14:40

You can have a 200 amp service panel or even a 100 amp service panel added just for the power, ie a service pole, meter and outlet. Thats it. Then you can run your power from that later. But make sure you do know code. I follow code to a "T" when wiring a building. Just not when tying a generator to my panel.

PatrickH
# Posted: 17 Sep 2013 17:15

they are called code enforcement officers ,I have received the stop work citations from them. then you pay for the permit or double permit or citation if you keep refusing the worst punishment I know of is they actually where putting a guy in jail.that being said I work without permits all the time only been caught once so far.As far as electrical here in MN and WI the power company will not hook a meter up until they get a stamp from the state inspector. In my expirience most people get caught when they sell their property.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.