Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 15 Reasons why I like my cabin design best
Jimmy
# Posted: 17 Sep 2013 19:56

(My design is the "Crudely drawn 615 sq. ft. cottage" on the Cabin Construction forum -- though it's now 650 sq. ft.)

1. The cabin is very small, so it would be inexpensive to build.

2. With its very small footprint (15' x 25' exterior dimensions), fewer trees, bushes & grassland would be dislodged to make room for it. That's good.

3. It's very small, but would sleep 4 persons comfortably.

4. With the sloping parts of the roof, and balanced windows, it would look nice from the front & sides.

5. Despite the sloping parts of the roof, people walking around on the upper floor wouldn't bump their heads.

6. Neither of the bathrooms are right next to living areas.

7. The only exterior door and the main windows face the front, and windows at the side & rear are fairly small. So proximity to neighbors at the side & rear wouldn't be a problem.

8. The only exterior door and main windows face the front, so landscaping efforts & funds could be concentrated on the front yard.

9. With a reading chair upstairs, people in the cabin could get away from each other.

10. The television set could be wheeled under the stairs, out of sight when not in use.

11. The bathroom and coat rack are close to each other, so when you come in from the outdoors, you hang up your jacket then take just one more step and wash your hands.

12. There's no setback to the upper floor at the back of the house, but to avoid an imposing "blockish" look at the back, the roofline would be quite low. A 6' interior ceiling height along that upper floor back wall would be high enough.

13. The handy attic spaces over the stairwell landing-- one accessible from the upstairs bathroom, one accessible from the bedroom closet.

14. The electric fireplace in front of the hide-a-bed. Just slide the fireplace to the side and fold down a very comfortable bed.

15. No pocket doors anywhere in the cabin. Pocket doors are noisy, bothersome, and don't block sound.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 17 Sep 2013 23:32

Sounds great. Odd dimensions though. When working with wood even measurements are best.

O

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 18 Sep 2013 15:43

You should have posted you list the post that has the images so people know what you are referring to.

Jimmy
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 17:16

Good points, OwenChristensen & TheCabinCalls. Thanks.

# Posted: 1 Oct 2013 00:58

inexpensive??? you may be surprised. I'm still working on my 16x20 cabin, and getting into a lot of money.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.