Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Ceiling drywall / Furring strips
SandwichBear
# Posted: 18 Sep 2013 13:35

I'm in the process of building my first structure - an 8'x12' tiny house. I have 5/8" drywall to cover the ceiling.

I realized I had nothing to screw into on the edges where the gable end meets the roof. I installed thin furring strips, which are screwed to each rafter. I am screwing the drywall to the furring strips. The strips are spaced at 12" or less.

How does this look? Am I doing anything ridiculous? Is this strong enough? Is there a better way?

Thanks,
Chris
Furring strips installed
Furring strips installed
Drywall on furring strips
Drywall on furring strips

SandwichBear
# Posted: 18 Sep 2013 13:36

(The second photo is turned 90 degrees CCW)

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 18 Sep 2013 15:36 - Edited by: TheCabinCalls

This is fine. As long as:

- you know exactly where the strips are. When you say 12" or less that means they might change. Just makes it go slower if there isn't a standard.

- the weight of the sheetrock + mud isn't too much. You are relying on the screw that is hold the strips.

- the strips aren't too thin that they split

The better way would be to not have to put the furring strips. You could have added blocking on the gable ends instead.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 18 Sep 2013 15:39

If you drywall the walls you are going to have the same problem. You'll need a board behind the drywall there as well.

SandwichBear
# Posted: 18 Sep 2013 16:09

My next small structure build will be a LOT smoother. This is the product of having no previous building experience. After every step, I can think of at least 100 ways to do it better next time.

The lower walls should be fine - I put nailers in every corner down below.

The furring strip spacing is slightly erratic, because I am fitting the end of the strips into the recesses on the gable ends to screw into the end rafters - I can't put the strip all the way in there where there is a vertical gable stud. So... this.

As long as it doesn't look horrendous, I'm going to move forward with this.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.