Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 8x8 beams
horseman
# Posted: 18 Sep 2013 15:34

i have an older barn its 20'wide by 40' long it has 2x6 floor joists every 16" and they sit on 6x6's that are spliced to make up the 40' and there are three of them one on each side and one in the middle and they are sitting on cinder blocks ruffly every 10' or on a splice and the 6x6's are binding. i have 5 8x8's 20' long i was going to put under the 6x6's and put them every 8 feet and put new blocks under every 5 feet.would that work or would they still bind?i have everything here thats why im asking.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 20 Sep 2013 07:41

I guess we don't understand. How is it binding? I don't like joints on large beams. I usually make my own by laminating several planks together and staggering the joints. It does sound like your 20' beams will be a lot better than the short ones.

Owen

MtnDon
# Posted: 20 Sep 2013 09:21

I too, am confused by what is binding? Something squeaks?

Joints or splices in a beam whether laminated or solid timbers should always fall over a support, never in mid span. A long beam over several support points is better than many short ones and they react differently to the forces applied to them. However when sized for the task at hand many short beams will function.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.