Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Wood Burner Riser
CootersShabin
# Posted: 19 Sep 2013 14:09

Hello, I am looking at building a Wood Burner Riser to get my cooking surface up to 34" because that seems like a nice number. Do you think 34" is a good cooking height?

Also, I thought it a neat idea to make the one side of the riser open, or contain a drawer of sorts for kindling and or fire tools. What do you think? (My concerns would be making it all of a not too flammable material. Tile is the plan for this area, so I could easily make the riser out of Cement Backer Board with some sort of angle in the corners.)

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Sep 2013 19:32

Kitchen work height is normally 36 inches. That has been the norm for decades. Personally though, I believe that is not best for standing tasks and I am not quite only 5'10".

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Sep 2013 12:29

Main thing with anything that a wood stove sits on is avoiding worst case scenarios with fire, of course. Placing a continuous piece of sheet metal over the top of the wood construction below ensures that even if embers get between the tiles or brick in cracked grout or mortar, the embers cannot reach combustible material. Even cement board can eventually crack, but if there's sheet metal below you have an absolute barrier.

Do you like the height of your kitchen counters at home?

CootersShabin
# Posted: 21 Oct 2013 13:06

Just to tie-up this thread...

I ended up putting a simple patio block/cap (16" X 24") on top of some scrap logs from the walls. I overhung the cap about 2 inches on each side, and that completes the riser. I like the look of the wood underneath as it matches the walls, but I may tile it. The one thing I did different in the plan is I completely tiled the floor and then set the riser on top to give me flexibility if I need to change to a top vent from the rear vent. In my mind this greatly reduced the risk of fire with the full run of tile between the riser and the floor rather than the built in approach. Final height ended up being just shy of 35 inches from the floor height and it seems about perfect.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.