Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Soft and moist ground, any advice?
Fargo
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 07:15

Hi all you cabin builders.

I plan to build a small Finland type cabin, but I've never built anything before so I need some advice.

My main concern is the ground I will build it on. It is full of trees and about 50 feet from a creek. The patch itself is dry enough, after all the main house (brick) has been standing 80 feet from that creek since 1875 and has no problems with water or mold. Still, in fall and winter, the creek will carry very much water, and the ground water level will rise accordingly. I am pretty sure that at my cabin site, I will probably hit ground water at 1.5 feet during the worst wet season. The ground itself does not "swim", its firm enough at surface.

Now gentlemen. How do I do this.

- do I need concrete fundaments? Should those be especially deep and a special material mix as to withstand the water exposure in wet season?
- or should I construct entirely above surface? The old timey folks biult the main house on the property without any basement, after all...field stone fundament I believe. They probably had their reasons for that and the perfectly dry house proves them right?
- if above surface, is it enough to buy impregnated wood or will I need special treatment / constructions to waterproof the floor?

Any experiences with cabins on not so dry grounds are most welcome! Thanks

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 08:24

What region is this in?
Have you looked up floodplain maps or had it surveyed?

bldginsp
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 08:36

Your best advice on this will probably come from local builders who have worked with similar situations many times. But the 1875 house is showing you two things, I think:

1- A full perimeter spread footing distributes the weight of the building over the largest area of dirt, which makes most sense if soil conditions are suspect. If you support your building on piers, and the piers are dug into the water level, will one or two of the piers sink?

2- Good underfloor ventilation is essential where the soil is moist. How does the old house vent under the floor?

Perhaps you should duplicate that foundation, to the extent you can.

Good luck

Just
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 09:24

Frost is a bigger danger than the water . Not sure where you are from but if it is Fargo ND. your footings need to be deep if the ground water is high it can be hard to get them poured . Dig a hole and find out how deep the ground water is ,that would be a good start. Make note of the type of soil in the bottom of the hole say at 4 ft. .that will give you a better idea what you need for a footing .Once you have good footings you can build your cabin as high as you need to , to avoid flooding.

rockies
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 20:18

Have you thought of using metal piers screwed into the ground?http://www.technometalpost.com/en/home/
They seem to be rated for soft moist soil conditions and would certainly be easier than digging and pouring concrete piers.

leonk
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 21:18

I am afraid we'll hear it's in Finland which is one big bog

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.