Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin construction (10ft to 8ft slope?)
Raven
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 13:24

Question for cabinbuilder & the homepage cabin. Is the front facing wall ten feet tall, sloping to eight feet tall at the back? I would like to build 2 foot mini loft on each side for storage.

grover
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 14:21

If I'm seeing the same one as you it doesn't look that tall. Looks more like 8 & 6. No reason you can't add some height though.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 14:34

This is 8 ft down to 6 ft slope, but it is not steep enough. I was just trying to make it as simple as possible at that time.
In hindsight, I would do it differently - taller, with steeper slope and a loft.

Raven
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 16:18

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of the 10 ft to 8 ft slope with the "under the loft" height at 6'6 inches.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 17:13

Keep in mind that roof shingles are not 'rated' for that shallow slope - they bend-up with time and water may seep between. Metal (one section to cover from top to bottom) or some other roofing should be OK.

Raven
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 19:20

Do you mean that even a 10 to 8 foot slope over an eight foot room width should not have roof shingles?

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 19:59 - Edited by: MtnDon

Roof slope (pitch) is usually given as a fraction or a ratio. 2/12, 4/12, 12/12, etc. 2:12, 4:12, 12:12....

EG: 2/12 means 2 inch vertical distance for every 12 inch horizontal.

There are shingles that can be used as low as a 2/12 pitch. The mfg may specify that 2 layers of underlayment be used with pitches of 2/12 to 4/12.

Note that not all metal roofing is rated for very low pitches either.

Always best to check with the roofing manufacturer.

Ice barrier may be required along eves in some locations.

rockies
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 20:15

If you are doing a roof slope that low (under 3/12) you should use an ice and water barrier on the whole roof. Or a torch down membrane like the kind used for flat roofs. Keep in mind that a lot of the revised building codes say that the lowest height under a loft ceiling should be a minimum of 6'11". Also, a tall, narrow cabin can have problems with wind forces hitting it and causing lots of shearing stresses at connections. Make sure it's bolted securely to the foundation.

Raven
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 20:39

Thanks so much for the help. It gives me some direction for the roofline.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.