Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Colorado Cabin
sobaka57
# Posted: 9 Oct 2013 23:21

My wife and I own 40 acres in southern Colorado which we used for camping for years. Decided to build a 12X16 cabin with attached 6X6 bathroom on end last year. Did pretty well for an aerospace engineer and a 2nd grade teacher.
Jeff and Linda
Foundation
Foundation
Walls
Walls
Roof
Roof
Cabin
Cabin

Kudzu
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 00:57

Looks great, you will enjoy that for many years and that is probably the best money you ever spent.

sobaka57
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 10:26

Made as much use of Craigslist as possible. Had the trusses engineered but doors, windows, shingles, even 2X4's for framing from CL was a big bonus to keep costs down.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 10:41

Is this a storage unit or classified as a cabin? A true cabin, they (county) will require atlease one window to be 3 feet from the floor for egress. (just judging by the framing)

Looks great, good looking solid foundation too. A very important part of any build.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 10:42

craiglist is great. I picked up my woodstove from them and always looking now for antiques to hand fromt he inside walls/mantle etc. Its a never ending search.

sobaka57
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 11:39

Actually it is in Las Animas county. Under 200 sq ft doesn't require a permit. I stretched it with the bathroom but no septic and it is on a separate foundation so I think I could talk my way out of it hahahha

rockies
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 19:57

Very nice. Since one of you is an engineer I'm sure it is solid and built to code. Have a composting toilet, water and electricity installed? I'm a little concerned about the walkway, though. It looks nice, but actually walking on it seems more like leaping from rock to rock. Don't you worry about less agile people catching their toe on the edge of one of those rocks and falling? You might want to double the width and recess the rocks into the ground a bit more. What's the inside like? And....how much did it cost you?

sobaka57
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 20:32

Solar, 12 volt, and a high end Thetford camping toilet. I'm a space systems engineer so it's probably space rated. Nobody goes there except my wife and I so I don't worry about the stepping stones. Here's some pics of the inside. Next step is to clean up the wiring and install the cedar tongue and groove inside. I think I'm up to about $4500.00. One step at a time.
Inside1
Inside1
Inside2
Inside2
Inside3
Inside3

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.