Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / any ideas on temp small door awning?
optimistic
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 07:47

The door to my cabin, which was installed by the shed company I bought the shed from (I am converting it to a cabin), has water coming in from between the door itself and the frame. I believe it is because of a slight pitch inward... Can't do anything about it.

The water actually slides in, rusting the screws that hold the door hinges, and also gets all the way down and in the corner of the wood floor... Really bad. I just discovered it.

In the long run, I will build a wrap around deck with a roof over it and where the door is I will also build a small nice roof. But this is next summer project so I want to install a simple "awning" over the door just to keep water from sliding in....

Any thoughts or products they sell that could be used for this easily? Don't get caught up on the word "awning" I really just need something to stop the water which could be as little as 5-6 inches wide....

Thanks !!!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 08:58 - Edited by: TheCabinCalls

- a storm door might be your solution. They come with a cap that is designed for the elements and it can be sealed up when installing.

- have you identified where the water is actually coming in? if it is from the top then you might just need some simple flashing or a metal cap to divert water away from the openings.

If the water is coming in from the bottom because of a leveling problem an awning might not help with a driving rain. check for gaps...you don't want bugs and other critters in there.

- do you have a pic to share. I remember your cabin, but can't picture the door.

- as for the rusting screws. replace them now before they break or you can't get them out easily. they should have used screws that hold up to the weather since it was for a shed.

optimistic
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 10:09 - Edited by: optimistic

Great tips.

I found one semi-decent photo.... Where I marked with the arrow is where it comes in. It slides on the exterior wall, then down on the door, then it gets in between the door and the opening - where it hits that strip of air barrier that you can actually see in the photo (looks like a thin line smack in the middle of the frame), and then it slides down and goes in the cabin....

I am sure a simple flashing (much better solution than what I had in mind) will solve it... Not sure what kind though. If you can advise/show a link to the item that will be great!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 12:29

Well a storm door is tricky with an out-swing door.

Flashing and caulking is your easiest and cheapest way to fix this. I did something similar to a large shed door by using drip edge. It installed under the siding/trim and came out above the door. It drops the rain on the door instead of letting it travel back inside.

I will look for some pics.

rockies
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 20:03

At the very least you could install a strip of "peel and stick" membrane across the top of the door and wrap it down over the front edge of the door frame. You would have to nail a bit of wood trim to the top edge of the membrane (on the wall) in order to keep it from pulling away at the top, but this fix would be only a temporary thing to get you through the winter.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 20:07

The builders should come back and fix it!

Martian
# Posted: 10 Oct 2013 20:51

Since your door opens outward, how is the water getting over the threshold? Its hard to imagine a door so out of plumb that water runs past the door stop and threshold. But if it is, then plumb the door so it works the way its supposed to.

Tom

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.