Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Building a 10x12 cabin in the New England woods (Massachusetts)
charr
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 22:39 - Edited by: charr

Hi all,

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a small cabin in the woods behind my family's house. I've cleared out a little area in between some pine trees and I plan on starting construction as soon as next weekend. The cabin will be used for sleeping, meditation, reading, writing, drinking tea, and enjoying nature.

I have zero experience with this sort of thing, but I'm fortunate enough to have an 85 year old grandfather who could probably build the entire thing by himself in a couple weekends if I let him. As soon as I called him over to come take a look at the build site, he was already drawing up plans and putting together a list of materials! Needless to say, I won't be doing this on my own.

Still, I'd like to do as much research as I can and I'm posting here to see if anyone has any general advice.

Here are some of my considerations:

Dimensions -- 10x12 (max size without a permit)

Foundation -- cinder blocks, raised off the ground slightly. I want to keep it simple.

Floor -- 3/4 plywood, maybe finished, or put some laminate down.

Walls -- plywood, uninsulated. Why? Because it's a 10x12 and I plan on installing a small wood stove. I'm open to suggestion here though.

Heating -- I plan on sleeping here overnight during the winter. I'm thinking a small wood stove. Possibly something like a Jotul 602. Expensive but worth it?

Doors and windows -- I'm not sure, whatever I can find cheap. I think some family members might have extra windows lying around.

Roof -- 4 or 5 grade shingled A-frame. Not sure if this is the right terminology, maybe what I mean is just a regular gabled roof. Also I considered extending the roof to create a small overhang for a front porch.

Furnishings -- very simple, just a twin-size floor mattress for sleeping, a small desk/nightstand with chair, a meditation cushion, and the wood stove.

I'm sure I've neglected plenty of things here -- as I said, I have absolutely no experience with building sheds/cabins so please feel free to give me critical advice or suggestions. I plan on spending $1000-$1500 (not including the stove) and I plan on finishing everything before the snow arrives!

Here is a really simple floor plan here which I threw together on some website:
cabin.PNG
cabin.PNG

Just
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 22:52

I think your budget may be low, unless its all used materials . last one I built that size cost me 2500$

bldginsp
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 23:42

With so small a place, a wood stove will take up 1/4 the floor area. I'd suggest a very small direct vent propane wall heater, which will take up less space than even an unvented propane heater, and will keep you warm throughout the whole New England night. A small woodstove will run out of fuel by 3 am. If you insulate, you'll use far less fuel.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Keep us posted.

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 23:51

I would insulate and use a direct vent propane wall heater. I am a big proponent of good, even great insulation. I realize it seems nuts as you likely have available firewood out the wazoo, but it is a fact that small cabins and wood stove heat are a poor mix. They take up lots of space of installed correctly, put out too much heat for a small place, and at the same time won't carry a fire overnight. Note I said direct vent, non an unvented, not ventfree, etc. Direct vent.

IF you had a power grid connection I would suggest great insulation and electric heat.

Truecabin
# Posted: 13 Oct 2013 13:33

some people want a cabin just for the woodstove that i can understand

for a cabin on the family back40 an electric heater just to get the edge off and a woodstove to keep the teacup warm is what i would do
and insulate well

charr
# Posted: 13 Oct 2013 20:50

Thanks for the advice!

Electric heating is not an option. I've looked at the propane but I'm really leaning toward the wood stove for a number of reasons. The stove I'm considering is really small. With heat shields maybe a footprint of 20 feet, which is not bad at all:

http://jotul.com/uk/products/wood-stoves/Jotul-F-602

I usually wake up once in the middle of the night so I could always throw a log on then if it's getting too cold for me at 3 in the morning.

But maybe insulation is a good idea too.

toofewweekends
# Posted: 13 Oct 2013 21:59

x2 on the insulation. It will make the cabin more comfortable year-round. Extending the roof over stairs/porch is a good idea to keep out of the rain and snow when you open the door. Also, it's a little uncommon, but think about having your door swing out -- you gain that much more useable floor space inside for the cost of a little more porch. Also, check with window shops. They sometimes have good windows that were not quite the right size for someone's house project. Often interesting shapes, too.

bldginsp
# Posted: 13 Oct 2013 22:02

Nice looking woodstove, but its big enough to roast you out of your 10 x 12 even with no insulation. Another poster has a cabin larger than yours and he got rid of his woodstove in favor of a direct vent propane wall heater, because the stove was too hot. Check out this woodstove, it's tiny

http://www.marinestove.com/sardineinfo.htm

Also there are tiny tent wood stoves that are not EPA compliant but are very small.

Hate to see you spend a lot of money on a Cadillac woodstove for your small cabin only to find out its the wrong thing. But what do I know, I don't even have a cabin yet.

dsaw
# Posted: 13 Oct 2013 22:25

A few thoughts:

- Foundation: Basic question, how are you keeping this from sinking into the ground? Cinder blocks raised off the ground? How? Are you pouring cement below them below the frost line?

- Heat: That stove is rated for a normal output of 20k btu. I put in a Morso stove last winter rated for 30k btu in a 14x20 cabin; and I had to open windows to keep it at a reasonable temp. in the winter. Granted, I have R-30 floor and ceiling + R13 walls; but be prepared to be overheated.

charr
# Posted: 14 Oct 2013 09:48

I'm considering extending the roof over the porch. And I was also planning on having the door swing out

Nice tip about the window shops -- I'll look into that.

I've seen the marine stoves, and they look nice. Unfortunately, it can take 4 months or up to a year to get one made -- they are built custom to order.

Another stove I was considering is the Hobbit, which is 14k btu:

http://www.salamanderstoves.com/docs/64/the_hobbit_stove/

Yes it takes a tiny amount of wood and I would have to tend the fire often, but other than that I don't see any downsides.

I would really like to go with wood stove heating if at all possible.

As for the foundation, I was going to dig deep enough to stack 4-6 cinder blocks, I could pour cement, I'm not sure if it's necessary.

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Oct 2013 14:56

I like that little hobbit. Saw nothing on their site about availability in the US, nor about EPA certification

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.