Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Floor joist size
dusty46
# Posted: 18 Oct 2013 06:44

I'm building a small shed/workshop. 16x24. I have 15 piers. On the 24 they are 6 feet apart on the 16. The are. 8 feet apart my question is will 2 x6. 16 inch centers be ok across the 16 foot they will span. 8 feet

razmichael
# Posted: 18 Oct 2013 09:18

The "allowable" spans depend on type of wood, grade and other parameters. Check out Joist Span Calculator for your conditions. If I understand your description you will have a center beam. Assuming Grade 2 SPF 2x6 under normal conditions you can span over 9ft. If you are planning on some heavy equipment in the shed you will need to adjust. If you accept some extra bounce you can adjust the calculator for this as well.

dusty46
# Posted: 18 Oct 2013 20:14

Thanks for the reply I will go with 2x8. I'm going to have heavy woodworking tools. Question is 16 oc. Good or should I do 12 oc

razmichael
# Posted: 18 Oct 2013 20:24

I guess it depends on how heavy but I doubt if you would need 12". If you double the dead load and put the live load up to the maximum you can still span over 8ft with 2x8s. You can always double up in the area where the equipment will be. I'll leave it to someone with more practical experience to jump in.

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Oct 2013 22:00

Check the weight on the machinery. Check the footprint; is the base that contacts the floor a large pad or a caster wheel or small diameter leg?? 3/4" OSB on 24" centers can bear up to 100 lbs per square inch, more if on 16" or 12". Unfortunately I can't find the charts. Thicker OSB can bear more; you can find 1" and 1 1/2 in some places. Makes a great solid floor.

But when the load is concentrated like with some machines that have legs that end in inch diameter bases you are getting into the land of engineering advice.

The standard LL as used by the AWC calculator are with loads averaged out over the square footage.

Shops with heavy machines are sometimes happiest on a nice level concrete slab.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.