Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / How to finish facia on a metal roof
grover
# Posted: 21 Oct 2013 13:44

Not really sure if it is the fascia but I'm trying to find out how to install the piece of metal that wraps around the edge of the roof. Especially how to weatherproof the peak where one side of the cabin meets the other.
Just overlap and caulk?

Martian
# Posted: 21 Oct 2013 13:53

I'll try to remember to take some close up pictures of how I do it. I just finished doing that part on a project.

Tom

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Oct 2013 15:07

Special metal flashings are made for every different edge/intersection that you encounter when installing metal roofing. You can buy those, but they are pricey. Alternative would be to look at the profiles offered and duplicate them, more or less, with less expensive standard flashings you would find at Homeless Despot or elsewhere.

Excellent metal roofing guide:

http://www.bestbuymetals.com/pdf/r-panel-installation-guide.pdf

Main thing to remember is to shingle all layers, upper layers always overlapping lower ones.

Good luck

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Oct 2013 17:12

There is pieces made just for that, also another type if you want a ridge vent. Same goes for the fascia where gutters mount and the gable end fascia too.

Martian
# Posted: 21 Oct 2013 18:36 - Edited by: Martian

You have residential eave trim and residential gable trim. The eave trim goes under the underlayment, and the gable trim goes over the top of the metal. At the peak, I cut the roof angle in one side, and trim the kickout off back to the where it lines up. Then slip the one side under, and pin it... or not. Make sure the side you slip under is away from the most visual side so it disappears. At the lower end, it just gets trimmed. to fit the edge back to the fascia.

When you order the eave trim, have it bent to fit your pitch. I like it bent just a little less...2 or 3 degrees...so it fits tight with out needing screws.
peak lap
peak lap
Gable end trim
Gable end trim

grover
# Posted: 22 Oct 2013 14:00

Martian, your first pic is where I was asking about. I think you are saying the side that goes on first, (usually the rear of the house), is cut at an angle where it reaches the opposite roof line. Then the other piece is cut at a 90 degree angle to the ground.
Thanks everyone.

Martian
# Posted: 22 Oct 2013 21:48 - Edited by: Martian

You don't have to extend it to the roofline...just beyond the intersection an inch or so. The idea is to close the opening so no wood is exposed. The other piece gets cut vertically in line with the fascia joint.

Its really easy if the final piece of trim extends over the top. Then, all you have to do is cut the same angle as you cut on the rafter tails on one side, and bend the metal over the top.

Tom

grover
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 08:01

And do the screws on the roof side and on the fascia side?

Martian
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 08:18

Yes.

Jim in NB
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 21:32

Habitat for Humanity - just about any chapter - has good info on this. Just google it - they have good pictures too. Mine are down at the camp right now!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.