Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / need plans for old west style cabin approx 12x16 w covered porch
floridagramps
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 05:17

My dau wants me to build a 12x16 log sided cabin on 2x4 stick built frame w covered porch w low pitch roof running across the front of building and a simar low piched roof covering a storage area across rear of building. To be built in Los Gatos CA w no snow or frost considerations.

My 3 grandson crew assisted in building a 8x12 chicken coop last year and are ready to tackle a real building. We built our own gabled roof trusses for coop w 2x4s and gussets..............but I suspect this cabin probably should have manufacured 2x6 roof trusses...any comments appreciated. I am 71 w limited building experieince and declining strength.

Chicken coop project was a blast and came out very well.......dutch door, windows w sliding storm shutters plus flower window boxes etc. Now houses 30 hens laying blue and green eggs..........that's CA

thanks

ps how would I attach a pic of that chicken coop to a posting on this forum

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 09:35

I think I know th e type he is after.

http://www.townandcountryplans.com/huntsman.html

Then the real western looking with the false front.

http://www.townandcountryplans.com/klondike.html

But they have lots of designs, see them all at:
http://www.townandcountryplans.com/

I built the "Whitehorse" myself. I kept the basic layout, but moved some stuff around on the inside. Moved a rear window and made my steps exit from the side instead of front.

rockies
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 18:41

Under the message box where you type your statement, click on the "Upload files" button and then go to #1 and click "browse" then select your pic. maximum of four pics per message.

floridagramps
# Posted: 28 Oct 2013 08:45

toyota_mdt_tech
thank you for suggestion, great ideas. If I keep it to one story would you guesstimate $25 per sq foot a reasonable guesstimate for foundation, asphalt roofing and T1-11 siding

I am attracted to desigbn w slant roof...........simpler for a 70 year old, no trusses, no gables and high end should accomodate bunks for grandsons.

thanks again for your suggestion

tomcoleman1@aol.com

Malamute
# Posted: 28 Oct 2013 14:09

Shouldnt really need trusses for a tiny cabin like that, a simple ridge with rafters would serve. Gable ends arent difficult.

If you're looking for a "Western style", some of the designs in the links could work but look more complicated than most old cabins I've seen. A simple rectangle with low pitch roof (2-12 to 4-12 pitch), the roof extending out over the gable end with the door in that end is pretty simple, and typical of actual old cabins. Building a frame version would be very simple. Generous roof overhangs give some storage against the outside walls, shade the walls, and look nice on older style cabins.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.